Highlighted
MrWallpaper
Copper

Poweredge T310 RAID Failure

Hi Dell Community Forum,

I have been having problems with my Dell Poweredge T310 server. When I restart it, it often goes into Bootdisk, and only after several restarts would it boot correctly. In addition, during start up it shows that the virtual disks are degraded, but that the physical disks are ok. On OMSA, it also shows that the virtual disks are degraded, but the physical disks are healthy. There is no option to rebuild virtual disks on OMSA. The error messages are shown below: 

Startup Error

Physical Disks - OMSA

Virtual Disks - OMSA

Server Manager

I have a full backup on an external HD (including bare metal) that runs every 2 days, but when i recently tried to recover recently I got an error message:

Recovery Error

I would like to ask how I can solve my degraded virtual disks safely (without loss of data), and if it is possible to recover from my external disk.

Cheers

HK Wee

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Poweredge T310 RAID Failure

Hi,

It does look as 1 of your HDDs is offline or failed. The minimum number of drives for a RAID 5 is 3. OMSA is showing only 2, 0:0 & 0:2. Check the drive and see if the LED is flashing amber. You can also check the OMSA alert logs. If failed, drive will need to be replaced using the following steps:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln290972/perc-s100-s110-s300-how-to-replace-a-failed-...

I would also recommend that you make sure the S300 firmware, driver, and OMSA are all up-to-date.

For your recovery error, try a new target and see if you can backup to that. May be a problem with that external drive.

Jim Plumlee
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
MrWallpaper
Copper

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I have just opened up my server Chassis and found that I have the Poweredge T310 Tower (no visible LEDs on the front). After opening up the side panel, I realized that the cable for HDD1 was loose. I then reattached it and restarted the server, and it seemed to boot up faster than it did previously. 

In OMSA, i now have 3 physical disks, with Physical Disk 0:1 degraded. The virtual disks are also still all degraded, with no option to rebuild. Physical Disks 0:0 and 0:2 seem to be healthy.

Does this mean I should replace Physical Disk 0:1 with a new disk as per the instructions here:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln290972/perc-s100-s110-s300-how-to-replace-a-failed-...

If I do, would I risk removing all the information on the server? I do not recall that we set up the original server architecture with a global hot-spare. Even with HDD1 offline previously, we were able to access all the files, but it was slow and sometimes could not restart properly.

Here are the error messages:

OMSA Physical Disk

OMSA Disk 0:1 Error

OMSA Virtual Disk Error

HDD Configuration

Cheers, and thank you so much!

HK Wee

0 Kudos

Hi,

As you can see, disk 0:1 is in Failure Predictive and should be replaced using the instructions in the article. 

A RAID 5 can lose a drive without losing the data. With that said, it is recommended to have a known good backup of your data before proceeding with replacing the drive.

Please let me know how it goes.

Jim Plumlee

0 Kudos
MrWallpaper
Copper

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for the information. Quick question - I would like to replace my HD but it seems that Dell no longer produces the same HD at 6Gbps, but only produces 12Gbps. Is it safe to purchase the 12Gbps and use it alongside the 2 original HD? The configuration is as follows:

Disk 0 and Disk 2:

2TB 7.2K RPM 6Gbps SAS

Disk 1 (to be purchased)

2TB 7.2K RPM 12Gbps SAS

Cheers

HK Wee

0 Kudos

Hi,

Different speeds will not be a problem. RAID controllers communicate to drives individually. When completing an I/O to a RAID array that consists of multiple drives, each drive receives separate commands that are completed at the speed of the individual drive. When all drives have finished, the I/O is then considered complete.

Jim Plumlee

0 Kudos
MrWallpaper
Copper

Hi Jimmy, Thanks for the info. I juHst received the HD and will try to replace it.

Cheers!

H Koon Wee

0 Kudos