Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DM

4 Posts

February 19th, 2019 12:00

Poweredge with PERC 6/i RAID question

This non-booting Server--RAID-5 4 hard drives--has two virtual disk sets; one of the disks in the boot set said "Foreign."  I cleared that and now that disk set says "Ready" and the other set says "On-line."  I have a tested Server 2011 backup image; if I restore this will it restore my system to its pre-backup state?  Should I choose the "Format/partition" option when performing the Restore process?  I don't know that's on the disk set but I know I don't want to lose it. 

Thanks in Advance for any advice!

• 

6.2K Posts

February 19th, 2019 15:00

Hello

I doubt a Windows back up will restore everything that was deleted. You will probably need to create a new virtual disk, format the drives with a file system, and then install the OS before you can recover any back ups. Most back ups only include files, they don't usually include a full OS and partitions. You can probably find more information about the back up you performed on Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

I suggest that you review the controller manual for more information about foreign configuration. If the drives are in a ready state that means they are ready to be used, they are not being used in a virtual disk.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

When you cleared the foreign configuration you deleted the virtual disk. It sounds like you have a sliced array, two or more virtual disks across the same physical disks. Virtual disk recovery on a sliced array is not likely. If you don't have the data you need in the backup then you will probably want to contact a data recovery company.

Thanks

No Events found!