Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2015 18:00

Powerege R320 with PERC s110 raid5 setup

i Have a new R320 wit ha PERC s110 controller and when i enter the ctrl/R menu to setup raid5 it only takes about 1 minute. In my previous experience setting up raid it usually take hours so this doesn't seem right to me. Then when i try to Install Vmware ESXi 6.0 (downloaded from Dell site) it does not recognise the raid5 Virtual Drive any help with  this would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 15th, 2015 23:00

The S-series controllers are Windows-only. You'll need to disable RAID or upgrade to the H310 or H710 (preferable) controller.

It should not take "hours" to set up RAID. The background init will take hours, but you do not have to wait for it to complete.

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 02:00

Please try it out with this solution,

Procedure

Start or restart the Dell PowerEdge server.

Press Ctrl+R to access the Perc 6/I Integrated BIOS Configuration Utility.

The configuration utility opens and shows the VD Mgmt tab.

To create a new virtual disk, press F2 and select Create New VD.

Select an appropriate RAID configuration from the RAID Level drop-down menu.

VMware recommends that you use RAID 5, 6, or 10.

Under Physical Disks, select the hard disks that you want to include in the virtual disk.

Select OK and press Enter.

The virtual disk is created.

Expand the Disk Group option, and under Virtual Disks, select the newly created virtual disk and press F2 to open the Operations menu.

From the Operations menu, select Initialization > Start Init. to initialize the new virtual disk.

The new RAID volume is ready for use.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 28th, 2015 07:00

That is not even remotely related to this question. Completely different controller.

No Events found!