Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2015 16:00

Problem encrypting virtual disk w/PERC H730

Hello,

I've created a RAID-10 virtual disk on a PERC H730 controller with (4) Samsung 850 SSD drives.

I've created my security key and attempted to encrypt the virtual disk. The job says it completes successfully, however every time I go back to the virtual disk view it says not secured under the virtual disk properties view.

Can someone tell me what's going wrong or help me troubleshoot further? The Samsung 850 SSD's support SED.

Thanks.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2015 20:00

bump

1 Message

February 23rd, 2016 02:00

Hi,

I'm exactly in the same situation as you are... Did you find any solution to that issue ? I've tried from DRAC, Boot Menu, Lifecyle, etc... All lead to the same results..

Thanks a lot !

14 Posts

May 31st, 2017 06:00

Hi,

Did you perhaps managed to ever resolve this issue? I am stuck in the same boat!

Thanks!

1 Message

May 31st, 2017 07:00

No, after frustrating support sessions with Dell telling me I need to buy the drives from them (and doing so), they were never able to resolve the issue. Never got it working- I suspect it only works with Dell's specific SED drives which are ridiculously expensive and not worth it. Overall bummed.

14 Posts

May 31st, 2017 08:00

Hi theflash1932,

I have considered doing this as I can get the exact drives from different vendors. My question is - do you know if Dell put any specific software of their own on the drives to ensure that only drive they sell, would be compatible with functionality like logical volume encryption or other functionality? Or would it be safe to assume that if I can source the same drive from another distributor, it should function as expected? I would appreciate your opinion.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If that is the case, then you can get the drives from suppliers for much cheaper then buying directly from Dell.

14 Posts

Thanks for your reply @tkeeler - it looks like I am also headed that way. The Samsung SED drives I was doing testing with does not even get recognized by the DRAC software as encryption capable. But I appreciate your response! 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 31st, 2017 09:00

Yeah, don't shop the manufacturers' models/numbers. Get Dell co-branded, certified drives, because, yes, there is special firmware on them to match the requirements of the controller. Generic/retail drives have generic firmware, not tuned to any specific controller, so they can cause issues on OEM or high performance controllers. You do NOT have to buy Dell-certified drives from Dell directly - you can get Dell-certified drives from many places, like xbyte.com and serversupply.com.

14 Posts

June 1st, 2017 00:00

Thanks again for the guidance @theflash1932!

No Events found!