Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 26th, 2010 09:00

Problems with PERC 3/Di on PE2650

First of all, quick question... Is it safe to shut down the server, running Win 2003, during a RAID 5 rebuild (rebuilding 1 disk out of 3)?

I'm asking because I did it.
And I sadly need to say that I didn't get the result I was expecting.

I shut the server when the rebuild was reaching a 15% completion.
The server was turned off, disconnected from the power, even the memory and processors where removed for maintenance, for about 1 1/2 or 2 hours, and when I turned it back on, the PERC BIOS was showing the rebuild process was on a 25%!!!
How come? Good question.
After all this, I decided to shut down the server utill the following day.

End of the tale, my RAID 5 went from DEGRADED, when I last shut down the server, to FAILED when I started it back the following day, showing 2 disks al FAIL with their amber hartbeat lights.

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Many thanks!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 26th, 2010 14:00

The RAID controller is smart enough to know where it left off on the rebuild ... that is by design.  With all the shutting down/powering up, you may have knocked the other drive off.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

When the controller rebuilds a drive, it writes data to the drive.  If it is interrupted, it will see on the drive what has been copied to it so it knows where to pick back up.  As the data on the hard drive is not volatile storage (like memory), that data is still there when the system is turned back on.

3 Posts

Any idea about why the controller kept (in its "mind") rebuilding, even though the server was completely disassembled?

3 Posts

October 27th, 2010 07:00

Ok. Probably was the RAID controller that failed.
It's an old server, and with no maintenance at all.

We sent the drives for data recovery, so we're back on the road now.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

No Events found!