Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

January 25th, 2019 09:00

R330 Poweredge SSD OS install outside of PERC

Hey everyone,

I have a R330 Poweredge server that has a PERC controller that's handling 4 drives in Raid 5.  That all is working great, but I want to have an SSD for an operating system and I want it outside of the PERC raid card, so I'll be using the on-board SATA connector.  

I've done all this and while I can see the drive attached, even using the Lifrecycle Install OS, I'm not able to use the drive for installation.  

The current RAID-5 is just blank, but setup in advance of OS install.  

Thoughts?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 25th, 2019 12:00

Hello

If you are going to run an unsupported configuration then my first suggestion would be to not use the LCC to deploy the OS. Also, check the SATA settings in the system BIOS and make sure it is set to something other than RAID mode. If it is set to RAID mode it will enable the S130 RAID controller. If it is set to any other mode it should work as a pass-through SATA controller.

I'm not sure how you are powering the drive, but if you have not provided some form of power to the drive then that may be why it is non-functional. A SATA cable does not supply power, the drive will need a power source. You can find documentation on the system support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

2 Posts

January 25th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the rely Dan. 

So the drive is powered as I had a dell 6 pin connector I was able to plug into the MB slot that was used to power the DVD drive.  While the original DVD drive power had the smaller SATA power connector, the extra 6 pin I have has the normal SATA power plug.  

I've read a little more and it appears that the MB disables the SATA ports when the PERC is enabled which seems to be my problem?  I want to use the RAID controller and the 4 drives I have attached, but in addition want a quick OS drive (SSD) to power an OS that is nothing more than a shell to run some simple programs and have that storage attached to it for media.  This way the daily operations are just running on the SSD and the raid can handle when media is being used ect.  This also lets me attach this storage to another machine or VM if I change how I want my system setup.

Ricky

No Events found!