PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 03-19-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

R630 and apparently (?) faulty ssd Kingston A400

Hi!

I'm having some strange problems with a Kingston SSD (A400, 120GB) when I try to use it in my server.

I was able to install ubuntu on the drive (configured as raid-0 in PERC H330 mini) but after that the disk was marked as faulty by the controller and non-bootable. Confused by this I inserted the disk in my laptop, ran smartctl and skdump and found no bad sectors

After that I re-inserted the disk into the server, made a new virtual disk and tried to re-install the os in which the installation halts due to I/O error.

Inserted once again the disk in to my laptop and ran the installation there without any problems. I also made sure to boot it without any problems.

Once again I added the drive to the server (now in another slot to rule that out) and here is the log from lifecycle controller after creating a new virtual disk with the Kingston ssd drive:

2022-03-15T15:00:40-0500 VDR18 Initialization of Virtual Disk 1 on Integrated RAID Controller 1 has failed.
2022-03-15T15:00:40-0500 PDR1001 Fault detected on drive 1 in disk drive bay 1.
2022-03-15T15:00:40-0500 VDR7 Virtual Disk 1 on Integrated RAID Controller 1 has failed.
2022-03-15T15:00:40-0500 PDR3 Disk 1 in Backplane 1 of Integrated RAID Controller 1 is not functioning correctly.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm quite confused by this.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
7 Thorium

You may be able to put the drive into "pass-through" mode and use it as a regular non-RAID disk without issues ... the controller won't care about a lot of stuff that way. RAID is complex and critical, so it is less forgiving with drives that aren't programmed to know how to behave.

View solution in original post

Dell Accepted Solution
Replies (3)
7 Thorium

Perfect sense. Drive is incompatible. You can't just throw any old laptop / desktop / NAS drive in a server.

RAID controllers expect drives to speak a specific language - a specific set of commands - and when they don't, the controllers mark them offline (or worse, they stay online and may have other issues). 

https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive 

"This SSD is designed for use in desktop and notebook computer workloads and is not intended for Server environments."

7 Thorium

You may be able to put the drive into "pass-through" mode and use it as a regular non-RAID disk without issues ... the controller won't care about a lot of stuff that way. RAID is complex and critical, so it is less forgiving with drives that aren't programmed to know how to behave.

Dell Accepted Solution

Well that kinda makes sense I guess. Thank your for answers and I will go for the pass-through solution and let the OS handle the drive.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions