Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2016 22:00

R710 misidentifies drive in Windows Server 2012RC2

Using Windows 2012RC2 on Dell Poweredge 710 (Latest Firmware updates)

Misidentifies SATA WD3003FZEX (WD 3TB)  in Device Manager as SAS drive and not accessible!

Cannot be accessed/mounted in Server 2012RC2 (appears in Device Manager as SAS and says working properly). Drive is detected in BIOS, SAS 6I Raid configuration and UEFI profile identifies correctly in Hardware Inventory. Already formatted GPT and worked previously in decommissioned SC1425. Can connect to Windows 10 workstation and access drive so know it's working. Green light also flashes on Server boot but does not go red/green afterwards.

Two Intel SSD's work properly in RAID 1. All Microsoft support offers is drive, controller inf files aren't correct but there are no drivers to update.

112 Posts

March 12th, 2016 15:00

The SAS 6i will not support physical drives larger than 2 TB. On the H700/H800 or H200 will support such drives on the R710..

en.community.dell.com/.../2837.hdd-support-for-2-5tb-3tb-drives-and-beyond

Hard Drive Controllers –

IMPORTANT NOTE! Only the Dell H700 and H800 currently support the 3TB drives (H200 will add support later this year) - NO earlier controllers, such as the PERC4/5/6, SAS5/6 (or ANY other Dell controller not mentioned) have this support and in some cases, even though you may be able to see the drive, this has NOT been tested or validated, so possible data loss could be experienced. ONLY use the Dell H700 and H800 with the proper firmware to ensure a tested and validated >2TB solution! For non-Dell controllers, contact the controller vendor for their support statement on >2TB drives.

Hard drive controllers, such as the Dell PERC and SAS controllers, have firmware that needs to provide support for >2TB drives. Dell supports these large hard drives on the Dell PERC H700 and H800 and soon, the H200 controller at a later date. In addition, firmware support is also specific to the type of drive – SAS or SATA. Dell H700/800 and H200(at a later date) will only support SAS drives.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2016 21:00

Thanks, wish I knew this buying the server. Hopefully it recognises the 4TB drives once installed and updated.

No Events found!