Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2015 08:00

R710 out of space

I have a R710, 2008r2 with 140GB mirror on a PERC 6. There is a C: w/ OS, 40GB and a D: with SQL server.

There is a 6 TB external (MD1000) connected.

I am out of space on the C:

Looking for the best way to increase the drive size

Can I add drives to open bays, (3-6) create a new RAID 5 on the PERC.

Copy the image off the existing Mirror to the new RAID

Shutdown, remove the mirrored drives

Will the system boot to the new RAID? Bays3-6

OR

Should I take a BMR backup, place it on the External RAID, will BMR correctly backup/restore SQL?

replace the Mirrored drives with larger ones

restore the BMR

Use EASEUS partition to increase the partition size?

Will I need to add the PERC 6i/E drivers or will 2008r2 pick up the raids?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2015 11:00

Evanspa,

The the server will not boot up using the first approach. Another approach is:

Replace each drive individually, allowing each to completely rebuild before replacing the next one.  Once you are done, use the Online Capacity Expansion capability of your controller. Select Reconfigure under the Available Tasks in the Virtual Disk within OMSA and Expand the array. This allows the controller to incorporate the extra space from then new drives into the RAID array. You can then expand your C:\ partition.

The other option is  Backup your data, replace the drives, create a clean RAID 5 and restore from backup.

However, depending on backup and restore method, you might have to re-install the OS.

14 Posts

June 26th, 2015 12:00

So setting the VD bootable flag in the PERC 6 will not set that VD to be to boot disk?

OCE does not appear to be compatible with the PERC 6/I/e.

Also is anyone familiar with the option of replacing each HD with larger, one at a time, letting it rebuild, deleting the VD and recreating the VD without Initializing. Booting to the OS and using partition software to change partition sizes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 27th, 2015 11:00

Robert - OCE in that manner is not supported on the PERC 6. Only on later firmware versions of the H700 and later.

Evanspa - OCE IS supported on the PERC 6, but only by adding disks. To your situation:

1. You could do as you originally planned - you will just need to change the boot VD on the CTRL MGMT screen in the CTRL-R utility. You must also ensure your backup gets the boot sector.

2. You can use OCE to convert your 2-disk RAID 1 to a 4-disk RAID 5, adding another 280GB to your Windows OS "disk". (You can add a single disk, or fill the backplane for the conversion.)

Don't use EASEUS to extend Windows partitions in 2008 and later, as the built-in Disk Management is capable of doing it. It's unwise to involve third-party utilities if not necessary.

Also is anyone familiar with the option of replacing each HD with larger, one at a time, letting it rebuild, deleting the VD and recreating the VD without Initializing. Booting to the OS and using partition software to change partition sizes.

It is called a 'retag'. Don't do it. It seems on the surface to be the magic pill to solve all your problems, but the truth is that it is only a byproduct - a side effect - of a 'recovery' operation. It is dangerous and puts your data at risk.

You CAN replace each of your disks one at a time, but the only thing you can do once each is rebuilt is to create a second array across the disks. Say you replace your 146GB disks with 300GB disks ... your array will remain 146GB in size, and you would be able to create a second 146GB RAID 1 across the disks using that available space. Since each array/VD is seen by the OS as a separate "disk", you would not be able to extend C: with that space, but you might be able to move items to it (shares, logs, page file, etc.) to free up space on your C: drive.

14 Posts

June 29th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for all who replied.

I successfully replaced the OS/Data drives.

Added new mirror with larger drives from 147gb to 600GB. Used EASUS to complete a "Disk Copy" to the new drives C: & D: = G: and H:

Changed the boot VD from VD0 to VD1

Booted to new MIRROR without any events.

The nice thing about EASEUS, you can change your Partition size BEFORE the Disk copy. no live data at risk.

I now have a 200GB C: and a 300GB D: The original Drives were re-lettered to G: / H:

The whole process took les than 1 hour.

I'll follow up with any problems that may pop up.

Success!

No Events found!