Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2019 06:00

R720 - Frequent "Physical Device Reset" on Disks

Hello!

We are noticing more frequent "Disk X in Backplane 1 of Integrated RAID Controller 1 was reset" notices. We have 7 drives in a RAID6. Out of those 6 are Samsung 850s and one is a 860. The 860 was recently installed due to a failed drive. It seems like these notices have been happening since they 860 was installed but it may just be a coincidence. We get the notice for the disk that was replaced at least once a week. Less frequently, we will see the notice reference other disks as well.

The notification says it is part of normal operation but the frequency of it has us a bit concerned. All seems to be running just fine, though.

Any thoughts? Can this truly be ignored or is this a sign of something more serious?

We are using a PERC H710 Mini. Firmware is 21.3.5-0002 (latest).

2.9K Posts

December 11th, 2019 10:00

Is physical disk 5 the 860? Your log has a lot of entries on disk 5 for SAS discovery. It looks like the drive isn't responding to discovery, the PERC times out, then we see the internal device reset. for port 0. I'd hazard a guess that most of your drives are going to be connected to port 0, so when that port gets reset to try to complete the discovery event repeating in the logs it would affect logs for the other disks.

I'm not seeing anything that would normally jump out as a concern, though.

2.9K Posts

December 11th, 2019 07:00

Are these the Samsung Evo/Pro drives? If so, them not being validated may be a part of it. If you want to export a PERC log and attach it to the thread, the community would be able to give it a look and perhaps discover new information. 

I can say that I used all unsupported drives in my R710 at home, got a pretty large amount of drive resets, but as a user, I never had any problems. I only knew of the messages because I looked, not because of anything symptomatic.

2.9K Posts

December 11th, 2019 09:00

You should have a drag and drop attachment option below the text box for you to reply. If you don't see one, send me a direct message.

14 Posts

December 11th, 2019 09:00

Yup, 850/860 Pros. Yeah, I haven't noticed any issues. Just weird that it would start happening all of a sudden.

I have the PERC log, but I'm a newb to the forum and am not seeing how to attach it. Just copy/paste it into the thread?

14 Posts

December 11th, 2019 10:00

Yeah, disk 5 is the 860. The rest are 850. My rudimentary guess was the firmware in the 860 isn't "playing nice" with the controller and triggering the issue which would make sense since this all started happening since we put in the 860.

This server still has the ancient MegaRaid Storage Manager software on it. When the disk resets, MegaRaid shows the "PD Reset" as "critical". So, on one hand, the iDrac says everything is good then, on the other hand, MegaRaid says there is a critical issue. But, honestly, I take what Megaraid says with a grain of salt. It tends to say everything is critical when it normal operation.

I appreciate the advice, though!

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 10:00

Just a FYI to anyone that may have the same issue. The errors continued and became more frequent until the drive finally showed as failed. I was showing resets approximately once every 5 seconds or so.

The drive was 5 months old. I tested the drive and there were no issues. I moved the drive to a different bay and all error have gone away so far. So, I'm leaning towards a bad backplane.

Is it was cabling, would it be more likely I would have errors on more than 1 drive?

• 

3.4K Posts

March 11th, 2020 01:00

Hello,

yes probably the issue is related to a bad backplane.

Thanks

Marco

No Events found!