Highlighted
drwatson128
1 Copper

R720 PERC H310 Mini Raw Device Mapping

Jump to solution

Hello all, I am trying to configure raw device mapping for a local storage SSD on a Dell R720 with a PERC H310 Mini Embedded.  This would be passed through to the ESXi hypervisor I have running on top of that.  What I need to know is if the PERC controller passes the SSD serial and/or other SCSI VPD.  I have been reading documents for the last couple days and cant find any information that confirms or denies this ability.  

Thanks

Labels (7)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: R720 PERC H310 Mini Raw Device Mapping

Jump to solution

Hello

I doubt it is fully supported, but I think it will work. The H310 and H710 should have similar functionality. I followed this KB article with an H710, and I was able to map a single drive RAID 0 and assign it to a virtual machine. Once I added it to the VM I went into disk management, onlined the drive, initialized, formatted, and assigned a drive letter. I then tested copying a 200MB file to the new drive, it worked.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017530

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello

I doubt it is fully supported, but I think it will work. The H310 and H710 should have similar functionality. I followed this KB article with an H710, and I was able to map a single drive RAID 0 and assign it to a virtual machine. Once I added it to the VM I went into disk management, onlined the drive, initialized, formatted, and assigned a drive letter. I then tested copying a 200MB file to the new drive, it worked.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017530

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

View solution in original post

drwatson128
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If this is the route we decide to take, I will give it a go and see what the results are. Thanks!

0 Kudos
drwatson128
1 Copper

Jump to solution

For anyone viewing this after the fact, we can confirm this does work with the H310 controller using RDM with Intel SSDSC2KB03 3.84TB TLC SATA SSD 2.5" SSDs.  Thanks again!