Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2014 06:00

R720 server with 16 x 1Tb SSD hangs in BIOS

Hello,

Our company buy new ssd drives for dell r720 server but controller hangs in BIOS POST procedure for 180 seconds. After reporting error boot process is continued

"Adapter at Baseport is not responding

No Adapter"

if i leave in server only 2 ssd drives no error are reported, if i leave 4 ssd drive the time in POST are increased, but no errors, if all 16 drives - time in POST increased to 3 minuets and timeout are occurred.

i'm trying to upgrade or downgrade firmware on H710p mini controller but no effect.

After booting in windows OMSA has successfully detect all drives and i can configure virtual disks.

• 

8.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 10:00

Hi,

Are these Dell SSDs? That error message usually happens when the drives don’t “spin up” and it is waiting on the drives and slowly times out. You may want to check the cabling to the backplane or if you have another R720 with the same controller to swap it and see, but it probably is a drive issue.

September 23rd, 2014 12:00

Samsung 840 by any chance? (if they are don;t assume there is a solution)

When you say you leave 4 sssd in. Do you mean in slotted in, or slotted in and configured as part of a virtual disk?

I would be tempted to check for bios updates for the SSD.

10 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 22:00

We have Crucial M550 SSD drives. When i say that leave 4 ssd drives i mean that only 4 this drives are slotted to backplane. If i increase number of slotted drives then increased time on controller pop-up in POST procedure. But drives are working successfully and i can configure virtual disks in OMSA and can use it.

September 24th, 2014 06:00

I see you have contributed to this thread

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19579104

regrettable the answer boils down to its just not compatible. I don't think there is any setting or hack you can implement. Crucial themselves don't support it in a raid configuration. Dell have no inclination to offer support/advice for it either, 

I am also sure you have seen other threads on other boards  regarding this drive with other raid controllers and the trouble some people are having. I have not seen a single "solution" to those voicing annoyance,

Sorry

10 Posts

September 24th, 2014 22:00

I have posted this thread for anyone who want use ssd drives and have tested for example 4 ssd drives and this is not equal to use 16 ssd drives.

I believe that Dell support see this posts and do firmware changes to its controllers to make possible use unsupported ssd drives.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2015 05:00

I am trying to install Ms. Windows Server 2012 R2 in Dell Power edge R720 Server with 8 x 3 1Tb HDD

I had the same problem but it seems that the BIOS battery discharged because I unplugged booth power cables and wait for 30min or more and plagued again then it works and on POST it mentioned that your BIOS battery damaged or discharged, but with one restart I faced with same problem I don't know what is the main point of the problem.

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 04:00

ss

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 04:00

We are getting same issue on H710p + R720 with latest firmware.

14 Crucial 1TB SSDs caused fault error (it gets stuck on f/w initializing devices 100% for ~15-20minutes) before coming up  with Adapter at baseport not responding.

Only having 6x 1TB SSDs works fine, longer POST time (It stays on "F/w initializing devices 100%")

This is a firmware issue which Dell should have already fixed now....

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 08:00

Yes, really old post, but I just had the same issue with an old unit I was re purposing and though this might help others. I had the exact same issue as in the screenshot. This workaround worked for me:

I found if you populate the the first bay with a Dell branded SAS drive (so it detects the spinup?) the rest of the bays can be populated with Crucial MX 550 SSD with out hanging issue.  

Setup:

Old Dell 720xd

1x 500 GB 15K Dell SAS drive (drive bay 0)

20x500 GB Crucial MX 550 SSD's (drive bay 4 through 23)

2x180 random SS'd Raid 1 in slot 24/25 (back of system) for boot OS

Server 2019

Perc H710p mini embedded

Raid 10 (4 disk per span) (Note: Using 2 disk per span I was unable to use the last 4 drives - span limit?)

NO Raid Encryption (If I selected encrypted, the raid array failed to create)

No hot spares (yet)

Lifecycle option disabled in bios

F1 Prompt on error disabled in bios (to prevent non-Dell drives warning stopping boot)

All firmware, bios up to date

Hope this helps someone else.

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 10:00

Thanks it worked.  But just one note that may help someone.  I put in 2 146gb Dell SAS 15k drives and I was only able to get 10 SSDs to work. I then changed it to two 300gb Dell 15k SAS drives and I was able to get all 14 SSDs to work.

Thank You!!!!

No Events found!