Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

December 5th, 2019 11:00

R720xd Adapter at Baseport is not responding, No Adapter found

Hello,

We had an older server on our rack that we are trying to repurpose into a storage server. After removing the HDDs and loading SSDs, the server won't boot with the drives connected. It locks up when initializing the devices, then returns "Adapter at Baseport not responding" and "No Adapter". I also can't access the RAID configuration utility. If the drives are disconnected, then the server boots as normal. 

The server is a R720xd with H710p Mini RAID controller. The OS is installed on a RAID 1 of two Zheino 500GB SSDs placed in the back. In front, there are 24 Samsung 860 QVO SSDs in a RAID 10. 

I don't believe the controller is faulty, as the OS RAID works just fine without the Samsung drives. Are they just incompatible? I can't seem to find a definitive list anywhere with compatible drives for this server. 

Should also mention that this server was originally a KACE appliance. Could that have any affect as well?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 5th, 2019 14:00

Yes, it sounds like a compatibility issue. You can reduce the number of possible issues by testing with fewer drives installed. A bad slot or bad drive can cause the controller to not initialize properly, so it may just be one bad slot or one bad drive.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2019 17:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply. I've spent most of the afternoon testing different drive configurations. Started by only loading half of the drives and went up from there. As of now, the system boots with all drives connected except for the four hot spares. I'll know tomorrow and share whether or not it works with two of those inserted. I really appreciate the tip!

No Events found!