Highlighted
Chorizo Omelet
1 Nickel

R730xd raid virtual drives not presented in bios as install-able for windows 2012 r2

Looking for the magic understanding about why my new r730xd with perc 730p mini is not presenting the virtual drives as bootable options to the windows installer...

0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: R730xd raid virtual drives not presented in bios as install-able for windows 2012 r2

Hi,

Does it see any drives? You could try loading the driver and see if that helps, choose the hard drive package http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=K0JJG

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
Chorizo Omelet
1 Nickel

RE: R730xd raid virtual drives not presented in bios as install-able for windows 2012 r2

Josh,

Thanks for replying, I was not notified that you had.

The Windows install program does see the RAID drives and at times has even tried to partition the drive to a 2TB (it is a 5TB vdisk) but even prior to that activity it complains that BIOS is not presenting the drive as installable.

I also loaded PERC drivers via USB during the install when it allows you to.  This made no difference.

I suspect the problem has to do with BIOS.  It is not allowing me to present the VDISK as a bootable disk.  When I tried to install off of a USB thumb drive (vs the USB DVD drive) the BIOS will allow me to specify the "C:" drive as a boot option.  That option is not available otherwise.

0 Kudos

It sounds like it is trying to install the drive and an MBR and not a GPT partition. In the system settings is it set to UEFI boot mode?

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
Chorizo Omelet
1 Nickel

I tried both BIOS and UEFI.  

The main POST screen shows 0 virtual drives being managed by BIOS.

The POST screen shows:

0 Non-RAID Disk(s) found on the host adapter

0 Non-RAID Disk(s) handled by BIOS

2 Virtual Drive(s) found on the host adapter.

0 Virtual Drive(s) handled by BIOS

I have the internal RAID controller disabled (as I don't have any drives in the internal bays).  I did try this with the internal controller enabled also...

0 Kudos
Chorizo Omelet
1 Nickel

I should also mention that I verified the PERC H730 Mini setup is configured to use the first virtual disk as  the "Select Boot Device".

0 Kudos
Chorizo Omelet
1 Nickel

So, I worked with Randall Thompson and we figured out that I needed to select UEFI mode AND use the Lifecycle Controller.  The video I watched for this product instructed me to use BIOS not UEFI.

The suspicion is that the 6TB (RAID1) virtual disk was too much for BIOS.