Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2016 10:00

RAID 5 issue with R410 Perc 6/i controller

I have a RAID 5 configuration on a Dell PowerEdge R410 (4 - 300 GB Hard Drives).  I'm trying to upgrade from 300GB hard drives to 600GB hard drives so I can expand the storage available.  I replaced the drive in slot #2 with a 600 GB drive first, because it was already in a failed status.  After the rebuild, I waited til the next day to proceed with replacing the other drives with 600 GB drives.  When I replaced the drive in slot#0, the drive in slot #2 went into a Failure Predicted Status during the rebuild.  So, after the rebuild was complete, I replaced the drive in slot #2 a 2nd time with another 600 GB hard drive.  During that rebuild, the Slot#0 drive also went into a Failure Predicted Status.  So, I let the server run for a couple days.  And, now both Slot #0 and #2 (the ones with the new 600 GB drives) are in a Failure Predicted Status.  I find it hard to believe that i would have 3 bad hard drives in a row.  I'm using all Dell certified drives.  Can you advise, what should I do next?  Firmware update? Go Back to the old drive?  It is a critical production server so I need to minimize any down time as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Byron

• 

8.5K Posts

March 7th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

A predictive failure is flagged on a drive when there are excessive bad blocks on the drive. Since you rebuilt the drive into the existing array most likely the other drives had bad blocks that were copied to the new drive. What OS are you running? There is not a way to get the drives out of predictive failure, once they are flagged. There is potentially a much larger issue with the array. I would recommend getting a file level backup of all the data.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/438291/EN

7 Posts

March 7th, 2016 13:00

Additional information:  

Perc 6/i is already updated to the latest version of firmware.  Bios as well.

The new drives are ST3600057SS with firmware ES64.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2016 16:00

Hello Josh

Thanks for the response.  We are currently using Windows Server Backup on Windows Server 2008 Standard.  Will that be ok or do you have a better recommendation?  I'm planning on deleting the array and rebuilding the server with a new array this weekend, on new drives.  That way I can roll back to the old drives if I run into  problems.  Planning on using Windows Server Backup to restore the server.  I'm open to a better suggestion for taking an image of the server prior to the rebuild, if you have one.

Thanks

Byron

• 

8.5K Posts

March 10th, 2016 09:00

That backup solution should work fine.

No Events found!