This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2013 02:00

RAID issues

Hi all ..

I'm anew user on Dell Poweredge M1000e . I'm confused about these case :

I have to hard disk on blade and set them to RAID 1 so :

1- what is virtual disk that he create and why the server doesn't boot without it ?

2- how to replace failed disk and rebuild it (make it the same that failure disk was) using patrol read (if that is possible on RAID 1)?

3- on BIOS does SATA setting must be on RAID mode?

4- what is "Hot Spare" and how to use it?

can any one help me please??

and sorry for not good English

thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

September 12th, 2013 06:00

Azaer,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. The 2 disk Raid 1 that is created is the Virtual DIsk you were asking about. It more than likely is where the OS is installed, so when removed there is no boot device available.

2. When you have a failed drive in the server you have a couple different ways you can start a rebuild. You can simply reseat the drive in the blade, you can also start it with Open Manage, as well as the Raid controller.

3. That is to tell the server if it needs the embedded Sata Controller or an installed Raid Controller, as you are using Raid you have that correct.

4. A "Hot Spare" is an extra hard drive that is installed that is assigned in the RAID Controller to automatically rebuild itself into the  virtual disk at the time of another drive failing.

Let me know if this helps.

13 Posts

September 12th, 2013 06:00

hi Chris ..

thanks for reply it was benefit

but about "rebuild hard disk" how can i do it through open manage . can i do it through setup menu?? and how to merge new configuration for new hard because it give message on hard like "foreign"

by the way i read that hardware RAID is make rebuild automatically when i replace failure hard !! is that right on dell server ?

thank you

• 

8.4K Posts

September 12th, 2013 07:00

In Open Manage you would go to Storage - Perc - Virtual Disk with failed drive, in the drop down menu select REBUILD.

In regards to the Foreign drive, if the array IS bootable or accessible then you need to reboot to the controller (CTRL-R) and then  highlight the Virtual disk with the foreign and hit F2, then select Foreign Config, then select CLEAR FOREIGN CONFIGURATION. 

If the array is NOT bootable or accessible then when you go into the controller select IMPORT FOREIGN CONFIGURATION.

The Raid controller can automatically rebuild, as stated earlier, using a Hot Spare.

13 Posts

September 13th, 2013 00:00

Chris thank you so much but what i specifically need to know is that when raid is rebuilt automatically, is the second hard disk will copy every thing on it to the new hard disk or i have to do that manually??

and if one of tow mirror hard disks failed because of raid1 i won't know right ? how can i know that one of them fail?

sorry but i still beginner

No Events found!