Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 29th, 2016 23:00

Raid - 5 Fail, Can't Run OS

Hello Everyone,

I am newbie here, need some advise and solve some problem.

i use Dell PowerEdge T320 with Perch H310 to control Raid, i use Raid - 5 with 4 HD.

in my case one of my HD is blinking fault and blue screen, try to rebooting but OS don't appear, i install Windows server 2008 R2.

anyone can help me? any solution for this case? cause i need it soon.

Thanks before

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 30th, 2016 09:00

Hello.

The hard drive is likely to be in predictive failed state. Check the status of the drive in OpenManage Server Administrator, OMSA if installed or boot into the controller BIOS using Ctrl+R during POST. If in the predictive fail state, offline the and replace with another one.

December 1st, 2016 00:00

Hello.

The hard drive is likely to be in predictive failed state. Check the status of the drive in OpenManage Server Administrator, OMSA if installed or boot into the controller BIOS using Ctrl+R during POST. If in the predictive fail state, offline the and replace with another one.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for responding my case. i have another question, when we use raid it means the data shared and being backed up right? is there any chance my data is ok? or maybe i should do rebuild raid from begining?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 1st, 2016 18:00

RAID is to decrease the odds of downtime in the event of a disk failure. It is NOT a "backup" in any sense. A backup strategy should always be implemented independent of the RAID array. 

It sounds to me, with a single disk failure, that your data is still there and you simply need to repair your damaged OS, but it just feels like there is too little information on what happened and your config to be able to say that with confidence.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 1st, 2016 21:00

You will need to boot to your 2008 R2 installation/recovery disc. I would recommend running CHKDSK /R and BOOTREC /FIXBOOT first.

RAID is to decrease the odds of downtime in the event of a disk failure. It is NOT a "backup" in any sense. A backup strategy should always be implemented independent of the RAID array. 

It sounds to me, with a single disk failure, that your data is still there and you simply need to repair your damaged OS, but it just feels like there is too little information on what happened and your config to be able to say that with confidence.

Thank you THEFLASH1932,

let me know how to fix it the OS, cause i can't jump in OS, it still blank page after booting. is it simply that i just remove the failure hardisk and replace it with new one? after i change it, should i repair my OS? is it dont change any data that i have? need your guidence please

Thank you before

You will need to boot to your 2008 R2 installation/recovery disc. I would recommend running CHKDSK /R and BOOTREC /FIXBOOT first.

Where i put that command? however i can't boot to OS. when i boot into recovery disk, can i put that command?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 1st, 2016 22:00

You must boot to the Windows DVD, choose Repair Your Computer, and select Command Prompt. That is where you enter the commands.

December 1st, 2016 23:00

You must boot to the Windows DVD, choose Repair Your Computer, and select Command Prompt. That is where you enter the commands.

Thanks for advise, i will try it :emotion-2:

No Events found!