Highlighted
1 Copper

Raid Level Migration too (RAID 0 to RAID 1)

I know enough to really get myself in trouble, so I need some help. I have a legacy server running on a PE2850 with two 36GB Ultra 160 drives in a RAID 0 container. I can't understand why they configured it as RAID 0, because the system needs neither speed or capacity. Nonetheless, one of the drives is failing. 

I have a supply of 73GB Ultra 320 drives. Can I pop one of those in and join it to the RAID 0 container in a RAID 1 configuration to create mirror, then remove the two 36GB drives and pop in another 73GB to mirror the new mirror?

TL;DR  2 36GB in RAID 0 to two 73GB in RAID 1 - how do I do it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Raid Level Migration too (RAID 0 to RAID 1)

Banttari,

With the age of the system it isn't as easy as with the newer systems. With the Perc you have you will need to install OpenManage Server Administrator, as well you will need to go from a 2 drive raid 0 to a 4 drive raid 1, also the new drives will be flagged as the size of the original disks used to create the Virtual Disk, so they will be seen as 36gb drives added. 

So you would add the 73gb drives to the server, then after installing OMSA you would go to the Virtual Disk page and find Reconfigure, then select the new drives and select raid 1.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Raid Level Migration too (RAID 0 to RAID 1)

Personally, due to the size of the Virtual Disk and the Raid, I would backup the data and then delete and recreate the Virtual Disk with the larger drives into a raid 1, using the total space. 
I would suggest backing up the data before doing anything thought. 

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos