Highlighted
Rod1200
1 Copper

Raid1 mirror to 3 or 4 hard drives

I am looking to upgrade to a Poweredge T440 server. I live in Florida where hurricanes are frequent. I would like to be able to remove a mirrored auxiliary hard drive when ever a hurricane is coming. Ideally I would like Raid1 mirroring to 3-4 hard drives. This way I could remove the third mirror when storms are coming. So the question is this.  Can windows server 2019 mirror 3-4 hard drives?   I would like 3-4 C drives mirrored for programs AND 3-4 D drives mirrored for data. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Raid1 mirror to 3 or 4 hard drives

Rod1200,

Just so you know this isn't a suggested or even recommended way of backing up the data.With what you are saying here are a couple points.

A raid 1 would have to be an even amount of drives, like 2, 4, 6, etc. Then with removing the drives, with a 2 drive raid 1 you could take a single drive, but in cases with more than 2 drives, you would have take more drives. For example if you have a 4 drive raid 1 then you would have to take 2 of the drives to maintain the integrity of the data. 

I would recommend getting data backups as that is a more stable, and safer way of backing up your information.

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Rod1200
1 Copper

Chris, Thank you for the information.  I have found very little information on Raid 1.  My thinking about 4 drive Raid1 setup.... if one drive fails, just slip in a new drive and the data will be replicated to the new 4th drive...correct?  In that case I could own 5 drives using only 4 as the raid.  When a hurricane is coming could I then slip out one of the Raids and slip in the 5th drive to keep them even?

The number of backup systems I have tried would surprise you.  They would not adequately backup my systems so I am looking for new strategies. 

Thanks for you sage comments and advice

Rod
0 Kudos

You can do that, the information I was referring to was the active members in the Virtual Disk, not including the Hot Spares. SO you could do a 4 drive raid 1 with a 5th drive as a hotspare. As far as failures, if a drive in the raid 1 fails then the hot spare should rebuild in its place, with no hot spare installed then you would remove the failed and install the replacement. If the rebuild doesn't start automatically when the replacement is installed then you will assign the replacement as a hot spare and it will start its rebuilding.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos