Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RI

October 7th, 2008 02:00

Recovering hard-disk data after deleting RAID 1 array at BIOS in Poweredge 840 (SAS 5/iR)

I have a Dell Poweredge 840 with 3 x 500 GB Samsung SATA-II hard disks attached to internal SAS 5/iR. Two of these hard disks were configured in RAID 1 (mirrored through BIOS), and I was using VMWARE ESXi 3.5. My hard disks were using VMFS partitions, and I was using a Windows Server 2008 Virtual Machine with both RAID 1 hard disks connected as drive letter R: (inside this HD I have a Virtual Hard Disk file filled with about 400 GB of data). I was using these RAID 1 HDs only to store this virtual hard disk of my Windows Server 2008 VM (running over VMware ESX).

At BIOS, I deleted my RAID 1 array, thinking I could use one of the drives as a stand-alone (single drive) after that, without losing data. But now my VMware does not recognize the datastore, and if I try to add this datastore to my VMware ESXi 3.5, it will destroy my partition. What's necessary to recover my Virtual Hard Disk inside this VMFS partition (500 GB hard disk)?

It's supposed that my data is there, because when I try to add this VMFS datastore to my VMware ESX, it shows 93 MB free of a 500 GB hard disk.

If I try to create a new RAID 1 array, it will destroy my data too.

Any idea to recover my data?
Message Edited by ricardo.inc on 10-06-2008 10:04 PM

9.3K Posts

October 7th, 2008 12:00

I'd suggest to shut down your system, call Dell support and see what they suggest.

There are no guarantees at all that you can get your data back, but your data is only as important as the effort you spent to back it up (I found out recently the hard way at home (2 drives died on a raid 5 and no backups; still trying to revive 1 of the drives, but that's a different story)).

Worst case scenario you can look into data recovery companies like drive savers or so.

October 8th, 2008 00:00

I've already tried, but Dell Support can't help.

I need to know if you know a similar software as Ontrack Easy Recovery that recover RAID partitions. Any idea?

Thanks!

667 Posts

October 10th, 2008 07:00

About your only choice at this point is sending the drive out for recovery.  They might be able to recover it assuming the data hasn't been overwritten.

7 Posts

November 9th, 2010 02:00

Dear DEV

I've read that you have experienced similar problems like me.

On a PE 840, at the same time (how many chance?) two of the three (Maxxtor 300GB ATLAS) HDD-s have been failed

The RAID 5 Array went offline, and no backup....

Did you find any solution for data recovery with 1 disk?

It is strange, but in PERC RAID controller setup I see the two dead disks with the state : "Ready" but they cannot forced to online.

Maybe is it the problem of RAID controller?

Thanks for your answer in advance,

Peter

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 9th, 2010 08:00

There is NO WAY to recover using a single disk.  If a three-disk RAID 5, you must have two of the three disks in order to have any hope of recovery.

You cannot force online a Ready drive.  Force Online is only for Failed drives.  If you have two drives showing Ready, then you only have three options:

1)  Import Foreign Configuration from disks. 
Assuming you are using a PERC 5/6, go to CTRL-R (during POST).  Hit CTRL-N to go to the Next tab, PD MGMT ... do any drives show as Foreign?  On the top row of tabs (VD MGMT, PD MGMT, CTRL MGMT), do you have one that says Foreign?  If no to both, then skip to number 2.  If yes, then you need to try to import the foreign config.  On the CTRL MGMT screen, what is the firmware/package versions?  If not at least 5.1.1.0040, then you will probably need to update it before an import will be successful.  If firmware is ok, then go to VD MGMT screen, highlight controller, hit F2, then Foreign>Import.  If not successful, then go to number 2.

2)  Professional data recovery.
Decide if the data is critical and MUST be recovered.  If so, call a data recovery service like OnTrack or Drive Savers before doing anything else.  This will likely cost thousands of dollars, so be prepared to weigh the cost against the value of the data you stand to lose.  Anything else can hamper even professional recovery efforts.  If this data is not critical or you choose not to pursue professional data recovery, then you can try number 3 as a last-ditch effort.

3)  Retag the array.
Assuming your data has not been damaged beyond recognition to the controller, you can re-assign each drive its place within the array, by using a retag.  Do not do this if you want to use professional data recovery services ... if it doesn't work, it is likely that even they won't be able to recover anything after doing this.  In CTRL-R, hit F2 on the controller, then Clear/Delete VD.  Then hit Enter and configure the array anew, but make sure that the Advanced box is NOT checked.  For this to work, all disks must be in their original order, and all settings (stripe size, etc.) must be exactly the same as the original array.

I would contact Dell Support for guidance with these steps.

Good luck.

10 Posts

November 9th, 2010 09:00

if you decide to perform  such operation, create action plan first!

1) you need something like acronis corporate boot DVD, but it costs $$$

2) external USB HDD if you can reach site with server the fastest way, SMB or FTP server with free space to fit image of your array.

3) boot from acronis DVD , create backup of whole RAID and then do whatever you want.

4) if something goes wrong, just recover RAID configuration and put stored image back

P.S.

Was tested on Dell PE 2950 with RAID-1 and works fine for windows and different linuxes.

P.P.S.

For me to recover system after such actions will take aprox. week, raid was damaged by one O&M engineers,  fortunately it happens on server which was one of fourth in cluster. so system was sustained .

7 Posts

November 10th, 2010 01:00

Thanks for your ideas!

I remember, that I saw a message about foreign configuration during boot process. If i can do the import is there any chance to keep old datas on HDD-s?

Or by reconfiguration I must say goodbye to data?

Thanks

7 Posts

November 10th, 2010 01:00

Thanks for your quick answers!

If RAID array cannot be build, is it possible to create images from each disk separately?

Maybe backing up data of hdds, rebuilding array from configuration (or replacement of RAID controller) and restore from image files can help.

Or not?

10 Posts

November 10th, 2010 07:00

>I remember, that I saw a message about foreign configuration during boot process. If i can do the import is there any chance to keep old datas on HDD-s?

>Or by reconfiguration I must say goodbye to data?

in most cases data will be restored correctly, but back up is very useful - its your personal "time machine"

10 Posts

November 10th, 2010 07:00

>If RAID array cannot be build, is it possible to create images from each disk separately?

if its raid-1 yes it is possible , in some cases it works with raid-10, but  get data a little bit tricky

August 2nd, 2015 11:00

Fantastic advice THEFLASH1932. You have just saved my pay cheque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used this to save my job 

3)  Retag the array.
Assuming your data has not been damaged beyond recognition to the controller, you can re-assign each drive its place within the array, by using a retag.  Do not do this if you want to use professional data recovery services ... if it doesn't work, it is likely that even they won't be able to recover anything after doing this.  In CTRL-R, hit F2 on the controller, then Clear/Delete VD.  Then hit Enter and configure the array anew, but make sure that the Advanced box is NOT checked.  For this to work, all disks must be in their original order, and all settings (stripe size, etc.) must be exactly the same as the original array.

Once again bravo!

No Events found!