Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

May 13th, 2022 03:00

Replace HDD with SSD on PowerEdge R710

Hello,

I have a situation with Dell PowerEdge R710:

First off all i have 2 HDD (2TB) Raid 1 , but both broke down.

I recovered the data with the raid array in proportion of 99%, and I cloned everything on an SSD (1.92 tb).

The os boot from SSD, but i want to add the second SSD for Raid 1.

How can  i rebuild  the second SSD in raid?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 13th, 2022 05:00

What storage controller you have on the server? Is the new SSD drive is part of the same storage controller with RAID 0 configured?

6 Posts

May 13th, 2022 06:00

Right now i cant share a picture , because i'm not there, but when i go there i take picture and send to you.

When i clone data i recovered with Raid array,that means i have 1 VD in RAID 1 with 2 SSD  , but the second SSD is offline, because that is not configure as RAID1.

I want to add this and rebuild in raid.

Can i do that ?

6 Posts

Raid Controller is PERC 6/i .

Before the incident , this server run with only with 2 x HDD SAS HP MODEL MB2000FAMYV SN: 9WM2CDQP; 9WM305Z0.

Now i buy 2x SSD Kingstone DC500R (1,92TB),on one I cloned the data, and the other is empty and its not in server. The server boots, but when verify raid status return degraded because a RAID SSD is missing. I want to add the 2nd SSD and rebuild .

I want to know how i can rebuild it.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

Can you share picture of virtual disk and physical disk page from PERC configuration utility. Is the new SSD configured as RAID 1 on the server?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 13th, 2022 07:00

If the drive is offline you can try to make it online. If rebuild is not happening after making it online then you can assign the drive as hot spare to the virtual disk for rebuild to initialize. 

Please note it is a best practice to backup data before performing such maintenance tasks.

6 Posts

May 18th, 2022 10:00

Hello,

I recived both SSDs , on the first one they made the clone but it is in MBR layout when inserted in the server,and I need GPT layout, can i make this conversion? MBR to GPT without losing data?

Second problem is that the Raid array was not recovered. How can i put it in raid without losing data?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 18th, 2022 19:00

I do not think you can change MBR to GPT without loosing data. Conversion is supported when disk does not have any partition or volume. Refer below link form Microsoft for details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-an-mbr-disk-into-a-gpt-disk 

Can you provide more details on when you sat Raid array not recovered? Is the virtual disk is still showing as degraded after inserting second SSD drive? Can you share some pictures of Physical Disks and Virtual Disks from PERC configuration utility.

6 Posts

May 18th, 2022 22:00

I solved the problem,

It can help someone.

The disk on which the data was cloned was not in RAID, so when I added it to the server, it did not boot.
I added an empty SSD to the server, did RAID 0 and cloned again on this DISK with ACRONIS 2021.

Now my question is, can i migrate raid 0 to 1? if yes, how can i make this?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 18th, 2022 23:00

Reconfiguration of RAID 0 to RAID 1 is supported. You can refer "Reconfiguring Virtual Disks" section on page 34 of below link for details. PERC Controller BIOS will have reconfigure option to perform that

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_dell_adapters/poweredge-rc-6i_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf 

No Events found!