Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

July 25th, 2018 16:00

Replace RAID card (exact same)

I have T610 PowerEdge.  I've been getting "single-bit" errors during the boot sequence (not every time, just some of the time).  Per the dialogue on the screen, I can press X to continue, or replace the RAID card and then restart. 

Of note, DELL doesn't sell the RAID card that I need to replace, but I purchased an identical one online (same part number).  

Also of note, my data backups using ARCserve aren't going so well lately.  I do tape (Ultrium) backups.  These finish (the tape ejects), but when I review the log, it appears that some backup actions aren't getting completed.  I think this is due to my RAID hardware problem.  

So I feel like I'm stuck:  I can't replace card without endangering my data, but I can't back up my data without replacing the card!  

MY QUESTIONS:

Does the BIOS data (configuration) live on the machine/server (motherboard) such that I can just remove the old RAID card and pop in the new one and all will be good to go? 

Or do I need to copy the BIOS data (configuration) for the current card and somehow copy it to the new card after I swap in the new card?  

Thanks in advance,

John

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2018 08:00

Hello

I did not notice any information about which RAID controller you are using. No one can provide information about the function of a RAID controller when they do not know which RAID controller to provide information about.

In general, the disk information is stored on both the drives and the controller. If you move the drives to another controller you can import the foreign configuration from the drives to the controller. You can find out more information in your controller manual.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanual/

Thanks

2 Posts

July 28th, 2018 19:00

Daniel, we took a leap and just swapped out the part.  Presto, all configuration was automatically brought to new card.  So pleased, no more single-bit errors....yet.  

FYI...

Item       : Dell T954J PERC 6i Dual Channel Raid Controller PowerEdge Servers [Dell]
SKU        : T954J [79719]

Very best,

John

No Events found!