Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2018 10:00

Retag PERC 5i RAID 5 Array

Hi All

Can someone please help me to Retag PERC 5i RAID 5 Array. One of my HDD in a raid 5 failed and during the rebuild another ended up with a foreign config. I cleared the foreign config but now need to retag the raid array (as the disk is showing as ready, not online). I know the exact config of the raid array, ie how many drives and in what order, the array was created (it is 8 drives with the full space used). I have read up on how to retag but just so I don't do anything wrong step by step instructions would be really helpful.

I know I have to delete the current VD array, but from the PERC BIOS I don't know exactly where to do this, i.e do I delete "Disk Group x" or "Virtual Disk x"?

Also when recreating the exact VD array how do I ensure it does not automatically initialize the VD because from memory when I created the array a good few years ago it automatically initialized newly created arrays.

Thanks in advance for helping, Kal

20 Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

Heya Kalz,

A retag is as follows (Done from the virtual disk page of PERC BIOS):

1. Delete the target virtual disk.

-F2 on the virtual disk tog get a context menu. Arrow to delete and hit enter

2. Recreate said virtual disk using the same RAID level *AND* the same stripe size

-F2 on the controller to get the context menu and create a new VD there.

3. DO NOT initialize. The initialization is what blanks out the RAID data. 

20 Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

Forgot to mention, the initialization option you ask about is in the RAID deployment wizard. I think by default, it is not checked and will only advise you to initialize.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 14:00

Thanks for your reply, now one of the raid drives has a physical failure. I’m going to have to take it to a data recovery shop and hopefully it’s only the heads and they can repair it so I can retrieve my data.

January 25th, 2023 05:00

Thanks a lot. I am doing this now. Hopefully will get the data back.

No Events found!