Can you kindly let me know what type of Interposer you used? I have the same issue of having a negotiated speed of 1.5G in Dell T7500. Will a Dell UF070 Interposer do the trick?
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have purchased an R510 which has this same controller. Is there a way to do this with ESXi 6.0? I will run various linux distrubutions on the machine, but only as virtualized containers, not as the host.
On your ESXi server you would have to take your ESXi host offline. By booting into a linux live environment and running the LSIutil (which can still be downloaded here docs.broadcom.com/.../12351668 now that LSI have been taken over by Broadcom)
Once you have run the utility it updates the settings in the SAS IR card and you can reboot into your ESXi environment. Please be aware that there is no guarantee that your drives will operate at the higher speed so recommend doing this in a test environment or at the least ensuring that you have backups of your drives.
I used a similar method to force higher speed for SSD's before installing the OS without using interposer in a test environment. If I plan to move such a server to production I expect I will pay the extra for interposers.
Thank you, Tolga, very much for this hint!
LSI.com is down now.
I've found lsiutil for many OSes at http://www.dzhang.com/blog/2013/03/22/where-to-get-download-lsiutil.
I works under Windows too.
It helped in my case to fix negotiated link speed 1.5 Gbps with Samsung 850 EVO SSD and LSI Logic SAS3444E HBA based on LSI 1068E controller.
No need for full reboot. It's sufficient to reset port via 99 command in lsiutil.
I made an account just to give you Kudos for this post!
I was about to give up on this altogether, it's not a big deal for me really as I only use a single PCIe x8 PERC 5/iR (0UN939) in a test rig desktop for connecting HDDs/SSDs up to for testing/copying things. I just ended up getting extremely hooked and interested as to why all the drives kept negotiating at SATA 1.5GB/s
I even tried changing the firmware/BIOS with no luck but the answer was staring me in the face all along via the LSIUtil software which was one of the first things I downloaded when looking into this. Thanks to your post I learnt how to find that menu to change the speeds manually, can't believe it was so simple yet so hidden...
Now after making the change I can transfer files at 230MB/s~ instead of 130MB/s~ ...so yeah it's a huge increase!!!
I realise it's pretty much outdated technology now and an old post but for the curious minds among us, it's posts like this that keep the knowledge flowing!
Thanks again 🙂