PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 03-08-2013 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze

SAS drive (73GB) is not showing on ESXi 5 as available

Hi,

I bought a used PE2950 with a 250GB SATA drive on Bay1. On Bay2 I installed another 73GB SAS drive with software files and VMWare images that i needed. Both drives are setup as RAID 0. I installed ESXi and able to setup access via VSphere. However, VSphere does not show the 73GB SAS drive under storage section.

Is there something I need to do to rectify this?

I am a newbie on server management and would appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

J0

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
3 Argentum

Hi there,

I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were looking at. If you click on the host in the vSphere Client, then go to the Configuration tab, select Storage in the Hardware pane, and then click View: Datastores, you may not see the 73GB disk:

If you then click the "Add Storage ..." link, select Disk/LUN, and click Next, do you see the 73GB disk in the list? If so you should be ready to go by highlighting it and clicking Next again and formatting with VMFS. However, if the disk was not already formatted with VMFS (i.e. before you copied your software files and VMware images to it) then you will lose them since formatting will start you over with a new, empty filesystem, and you would have to copy your files and images back over using the datastore browser.

Let me know if that helps or if you still can't see the disk inside Add Storage.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
7 Thorium

Sorry for butting in ... I'm guessing Jonathan won't see this until tomorrow ... there's no need to wait until tomorrow.  Yes, that is the issue ... when a disk is flagged with a foreign configuration, you can't do anything with it until it is resolved.  In this case, you want to clear it.  On the VM MGMT screen, highlight the controller, F2, Foreign/Clear.  Then configure/initialize the disk as a RAID 0.

View solution in original post

Replies (6)
3 Argentum

Hi there,

I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were looking at. If you click on the host in the vSphere Client, then go to the Configuration tab, select Storage in the Hardware pane, and then click View: Datastores, you may not see the 73GB disk:

If you then click the "Add Storage ..." link, select Disk/LUN, and click Next, do you see the 73GB disk in the list? If so you should be ready to go by highlighting it and clicking Next again and formatting with VMFS. However, if the disk was not already formatted with VMFS (i.e. before you copied your software files and VMware images to it) then you will lose them since formatting will start you over with a new, empty filesystem, and you would have to copy your files and images back over using the datastore browser.

Let me know if that helps or if you still can't see the disk inside Add Storage.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

2 Bronze

Hi Jonathan,

i do not see the 73GB SAS drive on the list. I looked again in the PERC 5/i Bios  config utility and found that the SAS drive has a 'Foreign' state. could that be the issue? if so, how do i correct? Thanks again

7 Thorium

Sorry for butting in ... I'm guessing Jonathan won't see this until tomorrow ... there's no need to wait until tomorrow.  Yes, that is the issue ... when a disk is flagged with a foreign configuration, you can't do anything with it until it is resolved.  In this case, you want to clear it.  On the VM MGMT screen, highlight the controller, F2, Foreign/Clear.  Then configure/initialize the disk as a RAID 0.

2 Bronze

thanks @theflash1932 and jonathan.

instead of clearing the foreign config, i chose Import which effectively allowed me to keep the HDD data. I was then able to add this to the storage config in my esxi host, choosing to create a new signature to the VMFS. Issue resolved :)

7 Thorium

"i chose Import which effectively allowed me to keep the HDD data"

Clear the foreign config ... unless, of course, the disk was an existing RAID 0 on a compatible controller, with data on it you want to preserve/import for use on the new system :)

3 Argentum

Thanks for helping out with your expertise, Flash -- you're right, we do work pretty normal business hours here! Glad you got your disk back up j0cabz -- let us know if you need more help! Great teamwork everyone! :)

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions