Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2012 21:00

SC420 can no longer see CERC SATA 2S RAID array

Let Windows update do its thing and on reboot the RAID drives were no longer visible and Windows cannot boot.  The RAID bios says the array is fine and both drives are healthy.  Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.  OS = Windows 2003 Server.  Worked fine for years prior to now.  No other changes in weeks and it has been stable.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 06:00

What is the exact error that Windows gives you when it tries to boot up?

If the driver is corrupt, or not compatible with some of the updates done, or some how just not working. Then Recovery console could be used to replace the driver with the current one.

Here is an article on using the recovery console.

support.microsoft.com/.../816104

And drivers can be downloaded here.

www.dell.com/.../04

Let us know how things work out.

Thanks.

January 23rd, 2012 15:00

I ran the array "verify" function in the CERC SATA 2S bios and the one image below is what I saw.  I pressed a key to continue and then rebooted.  The next image is what I see.  I can't tell from this if it is Windows giving the error or the system or Raid bios.  My hunch is Windows since the CERC SATA 2S reports all is good and the bios seems to be reporting the presence of 1 logical device.  Perhaps the driver got corrupted??

Any thoughts?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for the screen shots. The "no bootable device found" message, is a POST message, and not a message from the OS. So I doubt this has anything to do with a driver.

The array already has an asterisk next to it, which indicates it is labeled as a boot device. But for some reason it is not actually bootable right now. This could be because of those errors that occurred during the verify.

You could try making the array non-bootable,

To make the array non-bootable, select the bootable array and press Delete. The asterisk will disappear next to the array indicating that it is non-bootable.

Then reboot, enter the controller BIOS and make it bootable again.

From the List of Arrays, select the array you want to make bootable, and press . An asterisk will appear next to the bootable array.

Running diagnostics on the hardware can help ensure the hardware is fully functional.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

You could still boot to the recovery console,

Try a CHKDSK /R

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb491051.aspx

If that still does not work they you may need to move on to trying fixboot and fixmbr

• Fixboot writes a new boot sector on the system partition. The fixboot command is only supported on x86-based computers.

• Fixmbr repairs the boot partition's master boot record (MBR). The device-name argument is an optional name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Omit this variable when the target is the boot device. The fixmbr command is only supported on x86-based computers.

If after this there is still no progress then you may be looking at a reinstall.

Keep us updated.

Thanks.

January 26th, 2012 18:00

So I am at the point where I am ready to do a reinstall.  I have tried to do an ASR recovery and I keep getting the error that says my disk size is too small.  These are the same disks that the ASR was created from!  There is no formatting and all I have done is create an array and let it rebuild itself - the array has no data and no partition at this point.  Any ideas how to get past this?  Sort of makes an ASR worthless if you can't reinstall back onto the same disks it came from.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 27th, 2012 10:00

What results did you get from the hardware diagnostics?

No Events found!