Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2013 05:00

SCSI Sense Data

Hi All,

I have trap monitors set up and took a look in my even logs and was receiving the following error: 

"SCSI Send data Sense Key: 3 Sense Code: 16 Sense Qualifier: 0"

I took a look in the dell manager and noticed the drive was bad and had it replaced. The drive and rebuild completed successfully and within the manager everything looks ok.

However I am now receiving a different event now

"SCSI Send data Sense Key: 3 Sense Code: 11 Sense Qualifier: 1"

Not sure why I am receiving these event logs, tried searching everywhere , any have any ideas or provide any help?

990 Posts

December 9th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for your question.  Sense Key Error 3 16 0  is  a Data Sync error; Occurs when the sync byte at the data field cannot be detected.  A low-level format should be done.  If diagnostics then run error-free the fixed disk is serviceable.  I would run a consistency check on your array from the controller.

Regards,

7 Posts

December 9th, 2013 10:00

Hi Geoff,

I am no longer receiving a "SCSI Send data Sense Key: 3 Sense Code: 16 Sense Qualifier: 0" error. I got that before I replaced the drive. I am not getting an "SCSI Send data Sense Key: 3 Sense Code: 11 Sense Qualifier: 1" error

990 Posts

December 9th, 2013 14:00

This is a media read error. Run diagnostics on the drive.  If it passes, then run a consistency check on the array. 

Regards,

990 Posts

December 10th, 2013 06:00

Here is a link to our Online Diagnostic package: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00757400M/1/dell-onlinediags-win32-2.21.0.12.exe 

You can choose a custom test to select the drives and controller only for testing.

Regards,

7 Posts

Server 2003 SP2

7 Posts

What tools would you suggest I run the diagnostic with? Please note that we can not take this server offline. Also that the Dell Management Console does not see any drive or predictive failures.

7 Posts

I have downloaded the exe and tried to run the install but I get the following error:

"Error during installation of files. Ensure the installation directory has correct permissions and the directory path length is within the permissible limits."

I can also verify that I have no problems installing any other applications on the server,

990 Posts

What operating system are you running on this server?   We have Online diagnostics that can run inside the OS.

Regards,

7 Posts

December 10th, 2013 07:00

I ran this command on my desktop, which brings up a remote desktop window and I logged into the server. I tried to run the .exe again and still the same issue.

I have also ran "mstsc /v:servername /console" still the same issue. I then tried to run the .exe on my own desktop and still have the same issue.

990 Posts

Are you running remote desktop to connect to the server or directly on the console?  If you are using remote desktop, do the following before running the executable:

Select start, run, then type mstsc /console

This tricks the server OS to believe you are directly on the console.

Regards,

990 Posts

I downloaded the same file and was able to install on a Windows 7 laptop.   After file is downloaded and saved, right click and run as administrator.  If it installs,  right click again and run as administrator.   The program opened and  I was able to run. 

Regards,

7 Posts

The Above Img is the error I receive when I run as administrator on my own computer running Win 7 64bit

The Img below is the error I receive on the server

I have tried to right click and run as administrator, I tried with the local admin account and I tried with my own domain admin credentials.

No Events found!