Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2008 11:00

SCSI sense data Sense key: 5 Sense code: 24 Sense qualifier: 0

I am getting the above error after replacing all my 2950's drives with the below. Does anyone know why? Would it be a case of recreating the RAID array across these disks?

Fujitsu
MBA3300RC
P/N: CA06778-B400
S/N: BJ00P8300HRC
F/W: 0103
REV: A0
SAS-D

thanks

145 Posts

May 20th, 2008 18:00

Sense key 5 is "illegal request". ASC/ASCQ of 24/0, assuming that is in hexadecimal, is "invalid field in CDB". (If it's in decimal, that would be "recovered data with ECC applied", which is nonsensical, so I reckon is it in hex). The usual reason for that error is when a drive is sent a command it understands but with invalid data.

You may be able to sort out one or more virtual disks via the Ctrl+R BIOS; it could be that the controller has got confused about the drives you have connected and/or it's trying to access the virtual disks on the drives you've removed.

If things still don't work, upgrade the RAID controller firmware to the latest version available, and try again.

If things still don't work, it could be that these drives have a compatibility issue with the LSI chipset RAID controller in your 2950. My 2950 III has 300GB 15krpm SAS drives from the factory - they're Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 300GB SAS drives, ST3300655SS.

June 23rd, 2008 15:00

Hi,

I've tried all that is listed above but it is still throwing up the error. Due to some unforeseen circumstances we are going to have to keep the drives so i wonder if there is a way to turn off that particular error message?

If someone could explain how to do that i would be very appreciative.

thanks again

145 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 17:00

I'm unclear - is this error preventing you from using the new disks or not?

If the RAID controller is working, then write this off as noise.

If this error appears and you are unable to use these disks, you're stuck. This is a fatal error - the controller has asked the disk to do something and the disk has said "illegal command". If the command was something the RAID controller needed to do and it didn't work, you can't use these disks on the RAID controller.

145 Posts

June 24th, 2008 19:00

The 2950 can have a PERC 6 or a PERC 5; a PERC 6 is likely if the server is a 2950 III. New PERC 6 firmware has been issued today, which is actually a critical update.

If your server has a PERC 6, does the new firmware help with this problem?

2 Posts

July 1st, 2008 21:00

I have seen this error come up when you have some applications that try to talk to the LUNs configured and try to send them some commands that the controller does not (have to) support. Check your logs to see if you can make out what the command is, before you write it off. You will find this in the Openmanage ServerAdmin logs

1 Message

February 11th, 2009 06:00

Sorry to dig up this post...

Did you ever find a solution to this mess?

I'm experiencing the same warning messages although my grumbles are a little more severe as if I start a large copy to my RAID 5 virtual disk then the server will reboot spontaneously...

2 Posts

February 27th, 2009 15:00

If the drives are firmware 0103 and are not from Dell they are not supported. Dell "tweaks" the firmware to match their management/enclosure. Dell will be happy to examine the log file and let you know what the issue is for sure....

36 Posts

March 9th, 2009 10:00

I would recommend updating the HDD FW to the latest revision.  From the information that you provided these aren't drives that are supported by Dell (at least, not that firmware revision) - also, if you're able to pull and post as an attachment a snippet from the PERC controller logs through OMSS that shows the errors, that would be helpful in nailing down the issue.  What is the frequency of the messages?

4 Posts

May 19th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for the quick response. I am totally prepared to destroy at least one of these disks to resolve.

Any idea how I can force the firmware flash? thanks

dave

4 Posts

Did you have any success with this?

I am having the same issue with some seagate 1TB SAS drives. These are retail, non dell drives. Dell has Firmware for these drives but I cannot apply it to it. Any suggestions on how i can get this firmware onto the drives?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The firmware package checks the existing firmware package to see if it is compatible with the upgrade.  If not, then it will not run.  You might be able to "force" flash the drive firmware, but I don't know that I'd risk ruining the drives, should things go badly.

1 Message

September 13th, 2011 02:00

Hi, did you ever reslove this issue? I am having the same problem.

No Events found!