Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2020 06:00

Seagate 1TB 7e200 "Blocked" on Dell PowerEdge r720 and only showing 115.87GB

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 14.11.46.png

Hello,
I have recently bought an r720 server and 3x Seagate 1TB 7e200 drives. The drives appear as blocked, even after a firmware update. The drives are correctly attached to the server.
H710p mini raid controller

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ed

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

May 4th, 2020 04:00

Ok! The firmware for the PERC H710P Mini looks update to the latest version.

Yes, you need to update the HDD firmware separately from the PERC. And, as you have two different models of disks you can update only one if you need. In other words, you can update the Seagate disks firmware and not touch the 250GB SATA SSD.

You can check the firmware version of the disk when checking the disk information or in the first screen you shared on your first post

I think the problem is with the disks.. the Seagate Exos 7E2000 are not Dell-branded disks.. so they out of the support scope. By checking the firmware version I can say if it is a Dell firmware or not.

Quoting an old post from a Dell colleague:

"The controller puts a drive into a blocked state when there is a communication issue. That can be due to feature set differences like supported block size or an inability of the two devices to exchange information in a timely manner or at all. Updating firmware on the controller and drive is a first step in resolving communication issues between the two devices.

Our firmware is designed for use with Dell EMC certified drives. If you are not using our drives then you should check the manufacturer's site for firmware."

Regards.

May 4th, 2020 03:00

EdwardTechno_1-1588589365857.png

Thanks @DiegoLopez ,

I manually updated the firmware using the 'update and rollback' feature. 
It looks like the H710p Mini has the firmware version: 21.3.5-002

Do I need to update the SAS drive firmware seperately?- I have a 250gb Sata SSD, which is fully operational!

Many thanks
Ed

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

May 4th, 2020 03:00

Hello @EdwardTechno,

What is the PERC firmware version and the current HDD firmware versions after the update?

Regards.

May 4th, 2020 04:00

Thank you very much for your help and assistance. I will look into purchasing dell drives, since there is no firmware available for this drive. 

Will all dell drives work with the server? Would the 9W5WV be a good replacement?

Once again,
Thank you very much

Ed

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

May 4th, 2020 05:00

You are welcome Ed. It's good we can help.

If you allow me a recommendation, I would like to suggest you to buy the parts through our Partners and official resellers: https://dell.to/2W1yK8A That will assure the parts compatibility.

Now the disks 9W5WV are indeed Dell branded, HDD, 1TB, 512b, NL-SAS, 7.2K RPM, 2.5 inch, 64MB, Seagate, Airwalker, (Enterprise Class) and yes, they are listed as compatibles for the PowerEdge R720.

Best regards.

No Events found!