Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2015 15:00

Server 2012r2 on PowerEdge 320 - Cannot find drive

I am attempting to install windows Server 2012r2 to a PowerEdge 320.  The computer has a PERC mini-310 card with two drives configured in a RAID1 array.  When I get to the drive selection window in Windows Setup, it sees Drive 0 Partition 3 as "unused" and size = 1840.9 gb. 

When I try to select this as the target, the setup program says "We couldn't create a new partition or find an existing one.  For more information see the setup log files."

I tried formating the partition, which works without error.  Windows still will not install to it.

I looked for a driver to download and found nothing for Windows 2012r2.  There is a driver for 2008r2.

I have several PowerEdge R220 systems with the same PERC controller.  Server 2012r2 installs to them with no problem at all.

What am I missing?  How can I get Windows to install on this server?

Thanks - Bill Gee

• 

8.5K Posts

August 12th, 2015 17:00

Hi Bill,

Here is the driver for server 2012 R2 http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=5382X&fileId=3460828789&osCode=W12R2&productCode=poweredge-r320&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SF

What other partitions are listed? You can also try these steps to activate the partition

Once the setup fails to find the partition, just close the setup window (the top-right-hand side red X does the job).

From that point, you should be brought back at the initial setup screen. Choose "Repair" then go to the advanced tools and start the command line.

Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your SSD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK where is your SSD disk number.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN

Type EXIT twice (one to get out of DiskPart, the other to exit the command line tool)

2 Posts

August 14th, 2015 06:00

Hi Josh -

Thanks for the reply.  This problem seems to have solved itself almost by accident.  I think the magic answer is that a reboot is required after the partition is formatted.

The last thing I did before posting my original question was to format the target partition.  I did this from the GUI interface of the Server 2012r2 installation program.  This is on the same screen where you choose the target partition for installation.  After formatting the partition and still getting a failure, I shutdown the computer and posted my question.

Yesterday morning I saw your reply.  I powered up the computer, booted into the Server 2012r2 installation and went to the screen where the target partition is selected.  To my great surprise, this time it accepted the choice and continued with the installation!  I did not have to download a driver or use the CLI to format the partition.

The computer is up and running now.  Thanks for your assistance.

Bill Gee

No Events found!