Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2016 18:00

Share through DFS not accessible

So I am not a server technician, nor incredibly knowledgeable with servers in general, but I've been working in IT for about 7 years and have a client who recently had an issue with a file server.

He has a server, NAS1, where is has Modular Disk Storage Manager running. Everything looks fine except the batteries on both his raid controllers have gone bad. They are both still listed as being online, despite the batteries. He is running RAID 6 to host a virtual drive. 

In looking under DFS he has a folder (located when I navigate to \\NAS1\), filled with links to other folders. 

The links point to \\DFS\R1_client but when I attempt to navigate there, I get an error saying it doesn't exist. 

Is there a way to look at the real entire contents of the entire drive?

I feel like when I navigate to \\NAS1\ I'm just seeing mapped shares from wherever the real drive is located, but I don't know how to access it.

All these DFS links broke the moment his second controller battery died, so would this have anything to do with it? Is it an issue with the controller?

This is a bit over my head and so any detailed walkthroughs of what may be the case would be HIGHLY appreciated. :)

• 

8.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 11:00

thatjohn_youknow,

To start, the issue with the Raid batteries won't be responsible for the DFS issues, they are separate occurrences. What I would check first in regards to the batteries, is if the raid controller is up to date on the driver and firmware, this is because the controller can give false battery errors when it gets out of date. So I would verify if they are current. If so then likely the battery is failed.

In regards to the DFS folder issue, this post goes over the different issues that could be causing this. Specifically the "Gaining Access to Dfs Links and Shared Folders" section. Have you attempted any of those solutions?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 12:00

Correct link is in there now. Sorry for the mixup.

March 22nd, 2016 12:00

Hmm that link went to a twitter post with no links? Is that correct?

No Events found!