Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 11th, 2017 09:00

Storage Spaces Direct - R730xd with HBA330 and H330

Hello All,

I am still new at S2D. We're looking to set up a supported config for RAID1 boot volume on the rear 2 backplane drives with front 24 drives pass-through for S2D. 

How can this be accomplished? We don't have the servers at this time so nothing to get my hands on and see cabling configuration. I imagine 2 controllers but not sure if its supported or even possible. If anyone has information on this I appreciate your time and responses to help out.

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

December 11th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

The rear backplane drives use the S130 software RAID as the validated configuration. It may be possible to do what you are wanting to do though.

9.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 16:00

If Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) is anything like 'regular' Storage Spaces, you'll want to talk to your Dell salesrep as you're going to want to buy S2D ready nodes to ensure you get certified drives, network cards and HBAs. With Storage Spaces, Dell wouldn't support this on a system that wasn't purchased as a Storage Spaces direct node (guaranteed to come with replacement parts that are also Storage Spaces certified (most importantly the drives), which a regular server isn't guaranteed for.

Your salesrep will then also be able to help out with the question about using raid 1 on the 2 drives in the back, and regular HBA mode to the 24 bays on the front.

February 13th, 2018 05:00

Hello and thank you for your reply. When searching S130 I found the following and wondered what input you may have. Please let me know and thank you for your time.

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/Slow-Performance-with-a-S130/m-p/4735171#M42906

No Events found!