Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 19th, 2017 08:00

T330 + H330 + Cables question

Hi,

I have a T330 with the 8 bay backplane.  

I want to add a H330 so I can use all 8 drive bays.

There is one cable (SAS - 06JY5Y) between the motherboard and the backplane.

When I add the H330, what specific cables do I need between the H330 and the 8 bay backplane.

From the T330 manual I see two cables running from the/a PERC card to the backplane...

As a result, I'm looking to figure out what else I might need other than just a H330 (unless, it comes with the necessary T330 cables :-) )

Thanks,  Stephen

• 

6.2K Posts

September 19th, 2017 12:00

Hello

I'm looking to figure out what else I might need other than just a H330 (unless, it comes with the necessary T330 cables :-) )

No, the system does not have the necessary cables, and the H330 kit does not include the necessary cables. Upgrading from the onboard RAID controller to a hardware RAID controller is not supported, so the kits assume that you already have the necessary cables. Since it is not a supported upgrade the cable must be purchased through spare parts. Normal sales reps typically do not have the ability to sell spare parts.

P9VFY - SAS cable for x8 backplane with HW RAID controllers

Thanks

3 Posts

September 19th, 2017 14:00

Sigh, that's a shame, since I want to purchase the controller, but can't get the cable(s), either via spare parts,  or via a sales-rep/web.   That's a shame.   I have the dollars, just can't spend them :emotion-6:

As a run on question, with the single cable between the motherboard (06JY5Y) and the S130, do you know if that can be used to address all 8 backplane slots if populated with drives. If that works, I might be OK(ish) with that setup as I'm more interested in storage capacity than out and out access speeds on this box.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 19th, 2017 15:00

can't get the cable(s), either via spare parts,  or via a sales-rep/web

Spare parts doesn't have them available for sale? You can also try searching online for resellers that may have the cable available.

do you know if that can be used to address all 8 backplane slots if populated with drives

I don't think it will. It is a split channel backplane. I think 4 slots are routed to each channel, so if you only populate SAS A you will only have access to the first 4 slots. That cable is listed as a SATA cable in my part list, but I'm quite certain it is a SAS cable that will work with the H330 if it is long enough. The correct cable is a double cable that is the correct length.

Thanks

3 Posts

September 19th, 2017 16:00

With the details on the P9VFY I hope to be able to purchase the controller and then seek out a source for the cable. Thanks for the details and advice. I'll check on the spare parts and resellers.

November 11th, 2022 12:00

I too have a T330 with RAID 5 configuration using ther S130 with 3 of 4 bays populated. I would like to expand the storege and mirror two drives from the seconf 4 bays using the H330 controller. Will the H330 recognize the existing RAID 5 config when the S130 is disabled and drives are connected to new controller?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

November 12th, 2022 06:00

H330 will not be able to recognize virtual disk from S130. You need to create a backup of current virtual disk, then create a new virtual disk with H330 and copy the data back.

No Events found!