Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 23:00

T40 dell no bootable devices found

Hi,

please I need help.  I've got a brand new T40 Poweredge server (basic model 1 TB),  I've formatted the HD and disable the raid in the BIOS.  I've installed the windows server tru a USB stick all seems ok but when the installation reboots, I get an error o bootable devices found. Is this error maybe tied to RAID (Do I evenb need this as i've only 1 physical HD).

• 

8.4K Posts

May 21st, 2020 07:00

Siol, 

I would start with checking the USB Boot Support is still enabled in the BIOS, under USB config,  as well as checking the boot order under Boot Sequence.

Let me know what you see.

1 Message

February 15th, 2021 01:00

I too get the same issue.  Could you please provide solution?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

February 15th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

Before installing the OS you have to boot to the SMTD media that will prepare the OS installaton with the PERC driver required.

Here is the related documentation : https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-t40/pet40_ism_pub/options-to-install-the-operating-system?guid=guid-db302b10-5a20-4cdf-863c-d3a31758f970&lang=en-us

Regards,

1 Message

September 2nd, 2021 02:00

Siol,

I had the same problem. I bought the T40 on Black Friday 2020. As a student, I installed Windows Server 2019, Windows 10, even Ubuntu Linux. However, I was not able to get the unit to recognize the hard drive as a boot device. I salvaged an older computer to run Windows Server and Hyper-V. Last month, I began studying in a Unix class. I came across a Linux distribution called Rescatux which diagnoses a system from a USB drive boot. I was curious, so I pulled the T40 out of storage and installed it. When the installation prompted me to remove the storage media and reboot, my expectations were rather low. I was astonished to see it boot from the hard drive. I do not understand precisely how it worked, but I was delighted to see my $400 Black Friday science project functioning. It is now running Ubuntu Server, administered via Cockpit, as a headless file server. I hope this might help you.

No Events found!