Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MV

June 3rd, 2016 20:00

T430 + PERC H730 - missing Adaptive Read Ahead?

Windows 2012 R2 fully patched
PERC H730 1GB + Battery
All Dell drivers/firmware installed and up to date
OMSA 8.3

Go to OMSA, Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, Change Policy, Read Policy - only options are 'Read ahead' and 'No read ahead'

I'm missing Adaptive Read Ahead. What am I missing so I can select that in OMSA?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 4th, 2016 15:00

Hello

Adaptive read-ahead is not a feature of the PERC H730:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/poweredge-rc-h730/manuals

Adaptive read-ahead was a feature designed to reduce resource usage of using read-ahead all of the time. I suspect that it has been dropped as a feature since resources are much higher on modern controllers.

Thanks

June 4th, 2016 18:00

Going to have to disagree with you there. I have a PowerEdge T630 at home with an H730 and I have Adaptive Read Ahead as an option.See the attached screenshot.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 4th, 2016 19:00

Going to have to disagree with you

Adaptive read ahead is not a feature of the H730. If it shows available on one of your H730s then it is likely a reporting issue due to the OMSA version, FW version, or because the array was migrated from another controller.

I double checked my documentation on the H730 and reviewed the FW release notes. I show nowhere that adaptive read ahead is a feature of the H730; However I found multiple documents where the feature was obviously omitted in comparison to previous controllers.

Thanks

June 4th, 2016 19:00

Very odd. Have 25.3 on one, and 25.4 on the new one. Both have the same driver and OMSA 8.3.

No Events found!