Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

April 18th, 2020 17:00

T610 - H700 Perc card swap question

hi 
I bought a second hand T610 that has the H700 controller installed, i have updated the bios from 6.2 to the latest 6.6 along with all the available hardware firmware to the latest revisions .
I have installed windows server 2016 , along with hyperV then my servers and test benches on VM's .

On my old server that i built some years ago I was able to monitor the Smart info just fine,  as i do not wish to configure my drives in a hardware raid (4x4 seagate ironwolf non pro's) this is a home server. 
This week i bit the bullet and performed the last part of the migration and discovered my speedbump with regards to the smart info.
I use Stablebit scanner to keep an eye on the smart info along with their drivepool for file duplication and intend to keep using them for this purpose so i have no need for hardware raid (now or in the future)
So i have all 4 drives all as raid 0 but as i have discovered i can not pass through smart info this way.
So the question is what card can and will i need to swap out the cables . 

I have seen info on the H200 and H310 but the sas cables do not look the same from the pictures i have found.

If anyone can recommend a suitable swap I can perform along with cables if they need to be changed?

I will be backing up the data back onto my original server, but a heads up if the swap will mean i will need to rebuild would be great? 

Many thanks 
Bluetac

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 21st, 2020 05:00

Hello @Bluetac!

Well, as you know you are not running a supported environment (Windows Server 2016 is not a OS supported for a T610. As you can see here: Supported Operating Systems for T610). And, the Seagate Ironwold HDDs are not certified Enterprise disks.

So I think you are looking for a Community answer from somebody who has a similar configuration. So I better let your post open and hopefully somebody will answer you.

Regards.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 10:00

Thank you for the reply Diego and you leaving the thread open for me.

I appreciate that the OS and storage drives are not directly supported by the T610 server but they do work just fine. If the OS installed had have been on the supported list and I used the recommended drives would I still not be in the same situation?

I believe it is due the the lack of JBOD support (which is what I am looking for) and why I am asking for recommendations based around that

2.9K Posts

April 24th, 2020 11:00

Hi Bluetac,

An internal HBA would probably do the trick for you, but the problem is that all the HBAs I saw were external facing, not internal. You could potentially consider shifting away from the hardware controller to the onboard software controller, but it is something I generally recommend against. A hardware PERC is just a better controller in most use cases. 

No Events found!