Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2012 02:00

T610 New RAID1 swap file problems

Hi all,

I've got a T610 with the PERC H700 controller that came with a two disk RAID1 and three disk RAID5 running SBS2011 is the OS.  I've since added in a new two disk RAID1 with the intention of moving the pagefile onto it.  OpenManage sees the new array and the OS sees the new drive, but everytime I try to move the pagefile onto it I get a warning upon reboot that there was a problem creating the pagefile.  I've seen other people report the problem that sometimes the OS doesn't "see" the drive early enough for the pagefile to be created on it, but no-one's offered a resolution.

The server is quite happy moving the pagefile between the existing RAID1/RAID5 drives, it just won't go onto the new RAID1.  The new drive is configured as an NTFS Primary Partion, the same as the other two, does anyone have any suggestions as to why I can't shift this pagefile over?

Thanks,

Andy.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

What happens if you change the drive letter to something after 'C' (like P:)?  Historically, A an B have been reserved for floppy drives ... I don't thinkt that is still the case with Disk Management, but perhaps Windows has some remaining hostility (unresolved/unchanged code) towards those drive letters for things such as the page file.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 13th, 2012 09:00

Which drives did you use to create the new RAID 1?  Are they Dell-certified drives?  Are they enterprise-class drives or cheap/consumer class drives?  Consumer class drives can experience any number of issues.

15 Posts

December 14th, 2012 07:00

They are 15k Dell SAS drives, bought directly from Dell. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2012 07:00

When you created the RAID 1, did you also Initialize it?  Anything else unusual about your setup?  about the disk in Disk Management?

15 Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

I did indeed initialize it.  Once it was initialized, Disk Management saw an unallocated drive, so I added it as a Simple, Basic, NTFS drive and allocated it a letter (B:\).  I can copy files to/from it with no problem and Windows lets me move the pagefile onto it, but upon the required reboot I get the error that the pagefile could not be created on it.

15 Posts

December 15th, 2012 09:00

I'll give that a try and let you know

15 Posts

December 28th, 2012 13:00

Apparently the hostility remains - I amended the drive letter to H:\ and I've moved the pagefile successfully.  Many thanks!

No Events found!