Highlighted
lonh__john
1 Copper

Take Physical Disk Offline using iDRAC/racadm

Jump to solution

I have a T320 with iDRAC Enterprise and a RAID-1 array on a PERC H310.  I would like to replace one of the array's physical disks preemptively (not in failed state, or predictive failed state) and need to have the controller take it offline before I remove it.  I cannot find in the iDRAC UI, or the iDRAC or racadm documentation how to do this.  I would prefer to not need to use OMSA.  Any way to do it?  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lonh__john
1 Copper

Re: Take Physical Disk Offline using iDRAC/racadm

Jump to solution

I ended up updating the iDRAC firmware to get the new "forceoffline" command.  Still in disbelief, with how much money I paid for this Gen-12 server, that I have to reboot to take a hot-swap drive offline in preparation for replacement!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello

Type this RACADM command and it should provide information on the syntax:

racadm raid help forceoffline

Spoiler

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm raid help forceoffline

Storage -- forceoffline command removes the drive from Virtual Disk configuration

Usage:

racadm storage forceonline:<PD FQDD>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valid Options:

NA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usage Examples:

racadm storage forceoffline:Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:RAID.Integrated.1-1

There is a RACADM CLI guide on the iDRAC support page. OMSA has OMCONFIG commands that can offline a physical disk as well. The OMSA CLI guide is on the OMSA support page.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
lonh__john
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am running 2.50.50.50 and there is no "forceoffline" under "storage".  There is a "preparetoremove" but the documentation implies that it is for PCIeSSD drives.  What is the proper command to force a rotational SAS drive offline in this iDRAC release?

0 Kudos
lonh__john
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I ended up updating the iDRAC firmware to get the new "forceoffline" command.  Still in disbelief, with how much money I paid for this Gen-12 server, that I have to reboot to take a hot-swap drive offline in preparation for replacement!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos