Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2019 10:00

Take Physical Disk Offline using iDRAC/racadm

I have a T320 with iDRAC Enterprise and a RAID-1 array on a PERC H310.  I would like to replace one of the array's physical disks preemptively (not in failed state, or predictive failed state) and need to have the controller take it offline before I remove it.  I cannot find in the iDRAC UI, or the iDRAC or racadm documentation how to do this.  I would prefer to not need to use OMSA.  Any way to do it?  Thanks for any help.

November 12th, 2019 12:00

I ended up updating the iDRAC firmware to get the new "forceoffline" command.  Still in disbelief, with how much money I paid for this Gen-12 server, that I have to reboot to take a hot-swap drive offline in preparation for replacement!

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2019 12:00

Hello

Type this RACADM command and it should provide information on the syntax:

racadm raid help forceoffline

Spoiler

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm raid help forceoffline

Storage -- forceoffline command removes the drive from Virtual Disk configuration

Usage:

racadm storage forceonline:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valid Options:

NA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usage Examples:

racadm storage forceoffline:Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:RAID.Integrated.1-1

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm raid help forceoffline Storage -- forceoffline command removes the drive from Virtual Disk configuration Usage: racadm storage forceonline: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Valid Options: NA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Usage Examples: racadm storage forceoffline:Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:RAID.Integrated.1-1

There is a RACADM CLI guide on the iDRAC support page. OMSA has OMCONFIG commands that can offline a physical disk as well. The OMSA CLI guide is on the OMSA support page.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Thanks

November 12th, 2019 08:00

I am running 2.50.50.50 and there is no "forceoffline" under "storage".  There is a "preparetoremove" but the documentation implies that it is for PCIeSSD drives.  What is the proper command to force a rotational SAS drive offline in this iDRAC release?

6 Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

Me Too - I'm in disbelief.... Dell Support is non-existent... and all their replies are like - have you tried to turn on your computer? 

6 Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

I cannot get Openmanage to work with ESXi  for a particular machine... I don't understand why there isn't the basic command of "force offline" within iDrac Enterprise... It's not very Enterprise. 

No Events found!