Highlighted
RMASH
1 Copper

“The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad ..

I Replaced a faulty disk on PowerEdge R720 (RAID 10) and rebuild normally, all disk shows online   but still I have messages

“The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad Block Management section in the Online Help”

I am wondering about a reason to get this message  because I have 6 disk  running with RAID 10 and even one faulty disk should be no problems

When the faulty disk happened messages show and there were no error messages before 

“Virtual disk bad block medium error is detected.: Virtual Disk 0 (raid10) Controller 0 (PERC H710 Mini)”

I run the consistency check and it passed, but still the messages show “The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad Block Management section in the Online Help”

I can’t see in OMSA information About the location of bad blocks and if there any another disk has bad blocks so I can replace it, I can replace the whole disk which has bad blocks rather than do clear the bad blocks and it will be data loss

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DellEMC

Re: “The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad

Hello,

If you're getting a message about bad blocks on the virtual disk, you can't fix it by replacing drives.The bad logical blocks will get recreated. This happens because you have 2 drives in a span with the same data. For example, we''l just say it has blocks A, B, and C. When 1 drive fails, the system is counting on the other one to have a perfect copy of the data to replicate over. However, if the drive that isn't failed has a bad block, we'll just say block C was corrupted, block C won't be able to be correctly rewritten onto the new drive because there is no valid data source.

You can export a RAID log from OpenManage that may help you see what happened. You'll find it unde rthe storage tab of OpenManage, then in the dropdown menu beside the PERC in the pane on the right. That menu has an option to "Export Log" that you would select, then click execute.

Without a log I can't see exactly what happened, but you quite likely have data errors on both drives in a span. The bad blocks would have to be cleared to get rid of that message. The OMSA gui can clear those blocks, or you can use the following command:

omconfig storage vdisk action=clearvdbadblocks controller=X vdisk=Y

Use the command below to get the controller ID to replace X with:

omreport storage controller

Finally, the command below will give you your Y value

omreport storage vdisk controller=X

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos