Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2003 15:00

Trouble installing W2k on Precision 610 with ARO-1130XA-C

I have four identical Seagate ST39102LW 9.1 gig hard drives. It seems I need a special driver for the W2K installation to recognize the Adaptec ARO-1130 C raid controller. I do not believe W2K contains a driver for this controller, but I've tried to install without it. At the end of the four-disk sequences for W2K, a message appears saying that no hard drives are recognized. But I've already installed W2K once on the first of the four hard drives (without the RAID controller installed), and now I'm trying a new install to RAID these four hard drives.

Anyone out there try this? And what works?

42 Posts

February 10th, 2003 12:00

hey rhom:

just push play,, or in the case of a win2k,,,, just push "F6".. when you are installing win2k,, right at the very beginning you should see a message that says something to the extent of "push f6 to load additional drivers". thats when you put in the floppy with the adaptec win2k raid drivers... that is of course after you have built your array (raid 0 or 1) with the raid config util,, don't forget when you build raid array you make it bootable. good luck.

February 10th, 2003 15:00

Hello cmisenko:

Thanks for your prompt reply. Where might I get the W2k raid driver so that I could put it on a disk and install it at the right sequence? Might that be something available from Adaptec? I haven't checked because I thought that because this seems to be a propietary card built for Dell, that Dell would have the drivers. But I can't find anything for other than NT4 or older.

Okay, and another novice question: How do I access the RAID config util to build an array?

42 Posts

February 10th, 2003 19:00

ok rhom:

here's the dirt. first you download the array config utility. this will be an .exe file that lets you create a boot floppy so that you can build your array (0 or 1) and make it bootable. then you download the win2k drivers for your raid controller.. you load win2k boot cd.. do the f6 thing (thats at the very beggining of the setup,, so pay close attention).. then finish up the win2k install. if the raid controller is dell branded (adaptec), then the array config util and drivers are on this site.. good luck.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2003 05:00

Hey All,

Been trying everything I know to get this 1130xA-C configured, to setup 2k pro!   I tried to find the config utility here and cant find it.  I find software that will help configure it after 2k is installed (why doesn't this make sense to me?)  So i went to adaptec's site and dl'd the config util and it claims that it cant find the RAID device!  is it blind to dell branded stuff?

also, if people reply here, how will i know?  junk4mail@charter.net

thanks

jason

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2003 03:00

This may sound crazy...I got the ARO-1130Xa-C card on eBay to use in my Iwill DBS100 board (it has a RAIDport II slot) I could not get it to show the SCSI or RAID bios no matter what I did. take out the card and it booted just fine. SO I took a chance (I got the card for $.9.99) and flashed it with the Adaptec ARO-1130CA (it is the Dell branded version  Adaptec equivilent) and it booted! LOL. I am now low leveling it and will next attempt to install  using the Dell Win2K drivers (as Adaptec says the ARO-1130CA does not work with Win2k. Something tells me it is going to install and work just fine..LOL) I will report back later.:)

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2003 03:00

As a footnote I am using (4) Seagate 10k lvd SCSI 18 gig drives...:)

2 Posts

May 4th, 2003 23:00

When i tried this, Flashing with the CA bios, the utility fails and says it can't find the 7891 bios file.. and rightfully so, the file the util is looking for is not one of the three bios files that is in the bios folder on my boot disk, i have 7880bmx.bio, 7895bmx, and 7895cmx,

The adapter that the utility found was the "ARO-1130xA-B RAID Option (AIC-7891)"

Where can i find the bios upgrade at that you are talking about.. do we have different adapters?

thanks!

Jason

2 Posts

November 9th, 2003 22:00

Hi there, I have a bad news for you. It is impossible to plug the ARO 1130xA C or 1130 C or 1130 CA to a Dell 610. The reason is simple,  the card is only compatible with RAIDport II slot. The Dell Precision 610 use a RAIDport III slot. I have pass one month to try this card with home made driver, dell driver and I have tried to compare the diagram between Port II and Port III. I have found nothing. Maybe there is an adapter to plug a Port II into a Port III.

If someone got any idea at this point. Thanks

Netapus

2 Posts

November 9th, 2003 22:00

Hi t

No Events found!