Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2015 17:00

Unable to Create 6 Virtual Disks - Dell 2950 / Perc 6i

Hello - I have 8 Dell 2950 servers which are to be part of a 'Big Data' cluster. The PE2950 has 6 disks slots. The design calls for 6 Virtual Disks to be create (Raid0). The first volume will be for the OS and the remaining 5 will be for data.

While configuring the first server using the Controller Bios (Ctrl + R) I can see all 6 disks and create volumes (Raid0). Later when I install the OS I can still the remaining 5 volumes, however shortly after formatting them one of the volumes vanishes, gone.

I see that the missing disk it is in Slot 2 and the disk is lit Orange. Assuming it had failed I replaced the disk , but the same thing happened again. Very odd.

I moved on to my 2nd PE 2950 server and found the EXACT same behavior. The disk in Slot 2 vanishes shortly after creation.

On my 3rd server I created a Firmware upgrade disk and upgraded Bios / Controller, basically everything the disk found. The upgraded firmware behaves sort of the same, but the disk vanishes while using the Controller Bios (Ctrl + R).

Can anyone provide some insight and perhaps a solution. Perhaps I have bumped into a virtual volume limitation of the Perc 6i.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2015 10:00

Patrick,

I am not aware of any virtual volume limitations on  Perc6i controller. Change the connector from the controller to the hard drive on slot 2 with another if available and re-seat the controller and all the drives. Ensure that controller firmware is up to date as well.

June 9th, 2015 10:00

Robert - I will try that, but I think its unlikely to be controller cables or connectivity as I have experienced the same problem on 3 separate systems.

Thanks

Patrick

June 9th, 2015 20:00

Hi Patrick,

There may also be a possibility of the hard disk firmware which causes unusual issue like this. Can you let us know whether are you using a Dell branded hard disk?

Regards

June 10th, 2015 15:00

Wilson,

Thanks for the comment. I am using Western Digital  (WD2003FYPS) 2TB disks.

Your suggestion is a good one, but if you are right my options are to 1) upgrade the firmware on the disks, if that is possible OR 2) replace them with Dell branded disks. The 2nd option is painful and a little speculative as I bought 40 of these WD disks.

Thanks again.

Patrick

No Events found!