Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2015 10:00

Unable to load OS, base adapter not found

Hello all;

Fire sale, picked up an R520 with 8x4TB drives, The configuration is hosed. I have tried Lifecycle controller, UEFI manager but still no  array found. Gotta start from scratch I guess....any clear path for re-installing?

TIA!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 14th, 2015 22:00

Nothing new here:

• Windows cannot use a disk larger than 2TB unless it has been converted to GPT.
  • Windows cannot boot to a GPT disk unless it is installed on a UEFI-enabled system.

Each VD (array) is presented to the OS as a separate disk. If you have 3TB drives, you only have one option: Configure multiple arrays across the disks. In CTRL-R, configure a RAID array across the disks and when asked the size, make sure you specify a value less than 2TB. You can then create a second array across the disks for the data, convert to GPT, and have it be as large as you want.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 10th, 2015 10:00

Boot to CTRL-R utility (assuming H720 controller), wipe out the configuration and configure a new VD.

June 14th, 2015 22:00

Thanks @theflash1932. One of the drives has gone south which prevented me from getting into the config. Now I have 7 drives in one array. I'm working with Dell to get the drive replaced under warranty, but when I threw Server 2012R2 on it, it created a 2TB C:\ drive. I'm unable to access the other 22TB; all options are greyed out. MS did a lot of changes I see in 2012. How do I provision the remaining space?

TIA!

June 15th, 2015 10:00

Flash,

It's been awhile since I've been an engineer. You're correct....however when creating the initial VD, I used all disks in R5/R6. Should I not use all? Or use PS to acess the other 22TB? I have an R520 with 8 4TB SAS drives. Trying to get refreshed and caught up on all the new technologies. Would using Dell's setup cd or the Life Cycle controller be of more help?

SR

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 15th, 2015 11:00

You will never be able to access the other 22TB unless you install in UEFI mode.

Your only options are:

1) Enable UEFI boot mode, then reinstall Windows.

2) Not use all the disks. You could use 2 in RAID 1 for the OS and 6 in RAID 5/6 for data. This will cost you an extra disk's worth of space over having them all in the same disk group. Also, because you are using 4TB disks, even a RAID 1 will be limited to 2TB (unless you install in UEFI mode, in which case, you might as well put them all in the same disk group). You could also get a couple of smaller disks (if your chassis has the space) to use for the OS.

3) Create multiple VD's. Called "slicing", this is what I suggested before, you create two VD's across the disks, one of which would be small enough (<2TB) for the OS in BIOS mode, say 200GB, then create another VD across the disks to use the remaining 21.8TB - convert to GPT and partition as you like.

I would highly recommend you use RAID 6 and not RAID 5. Disks that size are almost guaranteed to experience a read/write failure during a rebuild, so you are much better off having an extra layer of redundancy/error detection/correction.

No Events found!