2 Bronze

Re: Upcoming PERC H700 and PERC H800 Cards

It's worth mentioning that some of Dell's drives carry a markup of over 600%!

EG: a 2TB SATA drive, with no caddy (just cabled in) is £740 if you configure a PowerEdge T410 on Dell's website. I can get the same thing from a local supplier for £100.

Additionally, the Dell standard warranty is only 1 year, whereas commodity drives typically carry 3 - 5 years.

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

I would like to see a reply from someone from Dell.

It's not a nice strategy at all.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

I'm guessing you will not receive the type of answer you are looking for on this forum.  Most of the Dell employees on this forum are here during their work or personal time - voluntarily, and it is very likely that they won't be able to answer your question (beyond what conjecture has already been shared).  Your best bet to receive some kind of explanation or comment on this policy, is to contact your TAM (Technical Account  Manager) and have them attempt to get something for you.

0 Kudos
4 Germanium

Definitely would be interesting to hear from Dell.  Come on Dell, step up to the plate....personally I would love to hear from the person who who came up with this brilliant idea.

If Dell uses the point of a small number of drives from manufacturers causing issues, I have no problem acceptting Dell's refusing support with any "uncertified" drives in their equipement... fine with me, as I have had 2 issues in >20 years.

Another point....given my array based servers often run for over 5 years, it is extremely unlikely (nearly impossible) Dell will maintain a surplus of older drives.. then what do we do?  how much will a drive cost in 4 years, double, possible triple the already high price.  

Sounds like it would be economical to purchase a corresponding LsiLogic once the warranty period is close to ending . 

We used to deal with this propriety  nonsense with IBM in the 1980's-90s, and IBM lost an incredible amount of business in that period due to it.. Maintain this policy and you will get away with it for a short period, but will pay for it for 20 years, as did IBM.

Maybe it just better to look into other PC and server suppliers.

Foolish move Dell...

Come on Dell, a great many purchasers/IT folk would love to hear from you.

Found this.... grab your shovels.....

"Why Customers Should Insist on DELL™ Hard Drives for Enterprise Systems "

"A Dell Point of View Summary"  

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-hard-drives-pov.pdf

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Foolish move Dell...

Definitely will lose in the market, make it right  or it will be too late.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

I read your post and can tell you that it was from the word you used instead of 'crummy'.  Much to Dell's credit, they allow blasting of their product and methods in a public forum when done in a professional and civilized way 🙂

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

ONCE AGAIN SHAME ON THE DELL MODERATOR!!!

This time they deleted my post with a claim that my: "post contains language that we believe reveals non-public information about Dell or another company or person."

Of course that is patently absurd since the server I bought specifically reports the name "LSI" on post of the computer and the H700 BIOS -- this is therefore obviously public information -- and also if you read the label slapped onto the face of the hard disk the server came with it says plainly on it that the hard disk is made by "SAMSUNG" for Dell.  Again, public information!!!  Nothing I said is "non-public". 

So unless Dell can be specific please, here is my post again:

==========================

Careful.  Not only is Dell censoring what hard disks we can use, but they are censoring what we can write about them.  I made the below post yesterday and they deleted it, supossedly for bad language!

I am an IT Consultant who switched to Dell servers for my clients about 10 or so years ago.  I had just taken delivery of a new T610 for a client and cracked the box open and replaced the hard disks with brand new Seagate Constellation (Enterprise class) RAID certified hard disks.  THEY ARE BLOCKED!  This is absolutely absurd and I am planning on sending the server back to Dell.  Their H700 controller is nothing more than a private labeled LSI controller and the hard disks the system came with were nothing more than crummy private labeled Samsung hard disks.  For Dell to pretend that they are doing something special with this hardware is a bold faced LIE!  This is all about making money and restricting what their customers can do with the hardware their customers buy.  What is worse, when you configure your server on Dell's website they do not make a disclosure (at least I saw none) stating that the controller will only function with Dell private labeled hard disks.  Further, they should not be marketing their controller as SATA if it will not function with all SATA compliant drives!

What is next?  Making us buy our blank CD media from Dell as private label media "certified" to work in their CD burners.  This is a fraud of the worst kind and they truly deserve to be taken to task on this restrictive and ridiculous practice.

I represent several dozen clients all of whom have bought Dell servers at my direction over the years.  This is stopping immediately.  I will not ever buy another Dell product just on principle, since there can be no justification for forcing us to pay them higher margins for private labeled product. 

It is ironic that Novell tried this same thing (HA HA - also with Samsung hardware) back in 1985 when they forced their channel to buy Novell servers which were nothing more than private labeled Samsung servers which Novell charged double for.

Dell - are you so ignorant that you do not learn from history!

As a 30 year verteran of the IT industry, my memory runs long and you have now succeeded in losing a once loyal customer.

Tom Shubert

e-mail: tom@tomshubert.com

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Why dell will not reply to address the issue instead of deleting their customer’s posts...  i would imagine it is easy to fix with just a basic firmware update

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Just to clarify.  I spent an hour on the phone last night with a Dell tech who was at first unfamiliar with the H700 controller.  Then I downloaded the latest firmware from this month -- last week in fact.  It still "BLOCKS" non-Dell BRAND drives.  I tried both Seagate Constellation drives (RAID CERTIFIED Enterprise class disks) and Western Digital YS Series disks (also RAID CERTIFIED Enterprise class disks).  Again, they all show as "BLOCKED" in the controller console STATUS.  Only the Dell branded Samsung disk was unblocked.

When I questioned Dell 2nd tier support they clarified that indeed the controller will ONLY work with Dell BRANDED disks.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

This is a bit concerning, although more in principal than practice.  My company wouldn't have any problems purchasing replacement drives from Dell, and considering that we have support contracts to handle this, again, it's not likely to be an issue.

For the little shops, though... this could be pretty painful.  One of Dell's initial strengths and something that allowed them to grow & quickly react to the evolving hardware market was it's use of semi-generic hardware.  Granted, the server market has always been filled with custom components, but the ability to mix & match commodity parts is something that allows smaller customers to manage their costs & tweak performance as needed.

I guess Dell was just tempted too much by those huge margins that SAN vendors enjoy with their "certified" generic components.  I mean, if I told you that you could take a $100 1TB, repackage it & sell it for $500 and customers would blindly pay that much for it, you'd be tempted too, right?  Ok, not all customers are that ignorant..... so maybe you could make it a requirement?  Brilliant!  Guaranteed, controlled margin!

0 Kudos