Highlighted
2 Bronze

Upcoming PERC H700 and PERC H800 Cards

Did anyone else notice that one of the "new features" that this cards have is "• Blocking of non Dell certified drives being used with PERC H700 or PERC H800"

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/perc-technical-guidebook.pdf  page 9

I understand that if Dell thinks for production I should only be using their drives but what happens if I want to test things I also have to go out and but the expensive Dell certified drives? And what happens if my server goes down and in an emergency I have to ghost my drives again I have to use only their drives??

This bothers me so much that I'm actually thinking of going away from Dell:emotion-9:

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Upcoming PERC H700 and PERC H800 Cards

Yes, while on the surface I don't like the sound of it, the truth is that "Dell-certified" drives have a special firmware on them that allows them to respond correctly to advanced requests made by the controllers so that operation of the machine can be guaranteed.  Having been a technical analyst for Dell servers, I can tell you that many issues arise from the use of non-certified drives.  So, while I don't like it, I can understand it.  Besides, Dell doesn't make the drives - they are made the top drive manufacturers, but in order to guarantee compatibility/reliability, they put a Dell-specific FW on them.  Just a thought 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I understand why they want people to use "Dell-certified" drives, but to totally BLOCK the use of NON Dell-certified drives is taking it way overboard! especially because they are not even using their own drives but they are charging like they made their own drives, the mark up on "Dell-certified" drives is about 10 times the amount of regular drives emoticon.Angry.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

On the other hand I have rarely use Dell certified drives, except during warranty, over the last 20 years and have had just about zip issues using new retail drives. This is mostly a money making scam for Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just tried using brand new Hitachi HDS72202 2TB SATA drive...  and sure its detected and listed as unsupported in Server Administrator....  but in the Integrated BIOS manager it marked as BLOCKED....  lovely great....  what proprietary nonsense it is…   I suppose they trying to sell more drives…  I think they going to figure out that they will be selling less servers like that…  A) they don’t have 2TB drive now and B) who will pay for this drive $900 when you can get drive plus tray for less than $170…

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

" I think they going to figure out that they will be selling less servers like that…"

Agree, in the long run there will be many angry customers who will switch to another supplier.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just found this out the hard way on a newly-delivered R710. Trying to reject the unit back to Dell - failing that, I'll get the H700 changed out for a PERC6/i. Looks like Dell will lose our business once the PERC6 line is no longer offered.

Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Time to dust off the HP reps business card....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just verified that an R710 with a PERC6 *will* initialise a VD on non-Dell HDDs. Buys us some time to find an alternative vendor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

This are not good news.

I always use certified Dell drives, but when something fails and the hotspare is been used, I put a extra HDD from any shop to have extra security.

Also I was using intel X25-E on a testing server and would be imposible with that.

0 Kudos