cpaez19877
1 Copper

Upgrade HDD RAID 1 to SSD

Looking for help upgrading the hard drives on my current RAID 1 from 930 GB HDD to 960 GB SSD. Can I pull disks and clone them one by one, then reinstall and create new array?

PERC H200 Adapter RAID Coontroller

Server 2012 Essentials

Poweredge T110 II

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Upgrade HDD RAID 1 to SSD

Hello

There is no method to switch between spindle and flash disks without losing data on the H200. There is no supported method to upgrade disk size even if you were going from spindle to spindle of the same interface type(SAS, SATA).

You will need to back up any important data. Changing the disks will require deleting and creating a new RAID array.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Also, I don't think the H200 supports drive mixing across the controller. So, you can't create a second RAID 1 with the SSDs and clone/copy the disks on the H200. You can check the controller manual to verify.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
JakubLgz
1 Copper

Re: Upgrade HDD RAID 1 to SSD

Dear All, I am trying to Upgrade HDD RAID 1 to SSD with out having any downtime on my system. I am currently running RAID 1 on HDD , on the following system: PowerEdge T330 PERC H730 Adapter Firmware version: 25.4.1.0004 Driver Version: 6.603.07.00 Hard drives size: 1,862.50GB MFG: DELL(tm) Product ID: ST2000NM0055-1V4104 Can I purchase for example 2 new SSD drivers from DELL same size and HOT SWAP 1 at the time , let it rebuild from the current HDD and do the same thing with the 2nd driver when the rebuild process is finished? Please advise DELL suggested procedure to upgrade from HDD to SSD easily with min down time and with out needing to re-install the whole system from the scratch and all the current applications installed on the server. Jakub.
0 Kudos