Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2020 12:00

Upgrade HDDs and RAID on PE R520

Hello, 

I'm looking to replace the eight drives in our R520 to add more space to our VMWare environment.  It has either an H710 or H310 controller, I currently can't go into the office to check which one it is.  I'm wanting to replace the current drives with eight 4TB drives and put them into a single RAID 6 if the controller is H710 and RAID 5 if it's H310.

I have a couple questions though before we start this project:
1. What's the maximum amount of storage the R520 can handle?  One of the spec sheets says 24TB but I've also seen 32 and 64TB thrown around.
2. Can we put all eight drives into one RAID?  The manual says that the R520 supports up to eight drives but it also says up to four drives for software RAID.  

Thanks!

• 

3K Posts

May 13th, 2020 18:00

Hi,

There is no maximum storage size it can handle, just maximum drives a RAID controller can handle; https://dell.to/3fFsfA2

At the moment, I can see that there is 8TB drive from Dell. So that makes 48TB; if you're going for RAID6, 8 drives. 

You can put all drive into one RAID, but if a drive fails, it takes a very long time to rebuild the array. 

You can forget about software RAID as you are going to use hardware RAID anyways. 

No Events found!