Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

June 29th, 2018 10:00

Upgrading storage RAID-1 H310 PowerEdge R420

I am cloning a virtual disk that is currently a RAID-1 300GB set to a RAID-1 900GB virtual disk.

We would like to keep both virtual disks online and make sure the new drives work properly before removing them from the RAID.  I see this has a possible problem, since the way to drives are mirrored.

I would like to delete the RAID-1 300GB virtual disk, but keep the drives installed in the 1U.  If we boot-up the new RAID-1 900GB and find there is something wrong and need to revert back to the 300GB virtual disk, can we recreate the virtual disk without initializing and have all the data still be intact?

--tj

• 

6.2K Posts

June 29th, 2018 13:00

Hello

You should be able to retag on the H310. According to the manual initialization is optional. Any controller that automatically performs initialization on newly created disks cannot perform retags.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/products/ser_stor_net/dell_adapters

It would be easier if you just disconnected the disks from the system. When you reconnect the disks they will be detected as a foreign configuration. You can import the configuration from the disks to the controller. It will copy the virtual disk configuration and attempt to bring the drives online.

Thanks

No Events found!