Hi Dell Community Forum,
I have been stuck trying to fix my server for a few weeks. The situation is as follows:
1) Our current server is a Poweredge T310 with 2 hard disks X 2TB. The set up is RAID 5, with the PERC S300. The server OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.
Recently I have been having problems restarting the computer, but on OMSA, startup, as well as storage manager, the physical disks are healthy. All three virtual disks are found to have been degraded on OMSA as well as during the boot-up.
2) After facing the problems in the last few weeks, I used Storage Manager to create a full back up, which is scheduled every 2 days (it takes about 1.5 days to create a full backup) on a 4TB external Hard Disk. This backup includes a Bare Metal Recovery
3) On OMSA, I am unable to simply rebuild the virtual disks. What should I do?
4) Would I be able to reformat the existing hard disks, and then recover from the last back up? Is there a risk that the back up image itself is corrupted? Would this resolve the issue?
5) Alternatively, do I have to buy new Hard Disks and attempt a recovery into new HDs? Would I be able to do this on the additional 2 slots that are currently not in use?
6) Is there a way to check the integrity of the backup on my external HD?
To start let me clarify, with #1 the Raid 5 would REQUIRE 3 drives minimum, so if you are seeing only 2 then there is likely a drive offline. Go to the Physical Disk page and let me know the individual status for each of the 3 drives, or if only 2 are being shown. Let me know if it is showing as Foreign, Missing, Failed, or is just plain isn't being shown.
We would really need to verify what we are looking at before answering the other questions.
If you could, you may want to provide screenshots of the Virtual Disk page, as well as the Physical Disks page.
Let me know what you see.
Thanks for your response. I have attached the relevant images from OMSA as well as the Server manager. In addition, when i recently restarted the server it went into file recovery, and I tested out recovering from a backup image, but there was an error, as seen in the images.
Hope you can help, and appreciate your response!
PS I am not sure if these images are loading correctly, but they are linked to a photobucket site.
Hi Chris, I realize that the images might not be uploading correctly, so I have attached the weblinks to the photobucket site:
OMSA Physical Disk
OMSA Virtual Disk
System Recovery Error