Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2016 20:00

Virtual disk 1 Degraded

I have a Dell server that has 6 disks in 3 Raid 1 arrays. One disk was replaced and came up as 'Foreign' so I followed the process to clear it and now it shows 'Ready'. I need to add it back into the Raid 1 mirror for Virtual disk 1 as but it won't allow me to. In OMSA I have selected System->Storage->Virtual Disks. For the second virtual disk (which is showing Degraded) I have selected Assign/Unassign Dedicated Hot Spare and then Execute but I get a message that reads:

Storage Management only displays those disks that can be used as a hot spare. There are currently no disks that are available, large enough, or of the correct type to be used as a hot spare for this virtual disk

The disks are identical with the same product ID etc. I would just pop the disk out and back in as a test but it is in a data center so I am trying to use remote tools to fix the problem.  

• 

8.4K Posts

February 5th, 2016 06:00

RichRaymont,

When you go to the Physical Disks page, is there any difference in the information being shown for both drives? Also, verify if the controller firmware is current and up to date, I ask as this could be caused by out of date firmware. Lastly, do you have the option to Rebuild the drive in the drop downs?

Let me know what you see.

February 7th, 2016 19:00

They are exactly the same disks but the firmware version is out of date. I will have to schedule this in some time in the next few days.

February 8th, 2016 16:00

I have updated the firmware and the disk is now a part of the RAID array. Thanks.

August 25th, 2023 02:46

@DELL-Chris H​ what is the best way to upgrade the H700 firmware on a dell PowerEdge r710?  Please include step-by-step process.  Thank you. 

• 

3.1K Posts

25-08-2023 07:03 AM

Hi @Palladium One,

Here are the various ways of updating firmware on PowerEdge: https://dell.to/45mvUvX. The easiest way is to use DUP update, it is on the article. 

(edited)

DELL-Joey C

Social Media and Communities Professional

Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services

#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Mark as Accepted Answer’. ‘Thumbs up’ the posts you like!

No Events found!